Cinderella seeks shoe

2 watchers
Jun 2020
10:29pm, 22 Jun 2020
19,998 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Maybe NB 680 or 690? The latter for preference. Half a size up. Not clumpy like the 1080s. May be bulging up front (my fat feet have burst the sides in both) but not necessarily constrictive.
Jun 2020
12:23pm, 24 Jun 2020
169 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
Unusually, NB 1400v4s were good enough for a marathon with some mashing of the little toe. Has anyone tried the latest 1400? The 690 is a good tip. The caveat is that NB Beacons should work for me but just don't make it beyond a couple of miles: another parkrun only shoe.

Suggestions so far:

NB 690
Nike React, Zoom Fly
Brooks Ravenna, Glycerin, Adrenaline, Hyperion Tempo
Saucony Guide, Kinvara 11
Asics GT 2000
Hoka Clifton

Thanks for all of these. Any more suggestions would be much appreciated. It would be economically painful and ironic if the Alphafly Next% turned out to be the one.
Jun 2020
1:05pm, 24 Jun 2020
3,591 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
ZTP - have you ever looked at roadtrailrun for reviews ?

They are always multi-person reviews, usually between 3 and 5 testers per shoe, so you get various opinions and they do call out any negatives they find.
The other thing I like is at the end of each review, they normally do a quite detailed comparison to other shoes in the same category, sometimes brings up models I hadn't considered.

Here's an example of the Saucony Kinvara 11 roadtrailrun.com

Apologies if you already knew all of that !!
Jun 2020
3:55pm, 25 Jun 2020
13,126 posts
  •  
Garfield
Inov-8 FLite 230? You may have issues if you have wider feet as they tend to be narrow - good for me, not so good for many.
Jun 2020
9:51pm, 25 Jun 2020
170 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
The more the merrier: thanks Garfield.

K5: thanks for the link. I have heard of that site, like it and have been led astray by them several times. One day I'll agree with them. Perhaps others haven't seen it. Other review sites that I like are doctorsofrunning.com , believeintherun.com , and a left-fielder: timetorunagain.com
Jun 2020
10:58pm, 25 Jun 2020
464 posts
  •  
oi you
I'd suggest having a look at the Altra range of shoes. I've had problems in the past with bunions causing my foot to feel crushed, but have found their shoes, generally but not always, to be much more comfortable fit. Their shoes are much more foot shaped, but I think the zero-drop doesn't suit everyone.
Jan 2021
1:25pm, 13 Jan 2021
21,737 posts
  •  
Dvorak
How did the shoe search go, Zen?
Nov 2021
6:24pm, 24 Nov 2021
388 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
Dvorak, ten months is a long time for a reply: better late than never. Cinderella did go to the ball and found several slippers that fitted perfectly - with no need for wide fittings or custom insoles. If my identical twin is out there, try these:

NB Rebel V2
- a remarkably soft and light shoe, with a wide range of pace and distance

Nike Vaporfly
- the Alphaflys started well but quickly became foot destroyers for me as they seem, to me, to favour heel-strikers. The vaporfly's forefoot suits me better and has decent boing.

Skechers Gorun Maxroad 5
- early days but these look promising: a comfortable and flexible distance and pace shoe.

NB RC Elite v2
- decent boing and far more comfortable than any other carbon plated shoe over longer distances.

Skechers Razor 3

- these reward faster pace and are very light.

Saucony Endorphin Speed
- consistently produce toe/tendon ache after 6 miles, but fast with boing until then.

Saucony Endorphin Pro

- (ditto)

Altra Kayenta
- zero drop experiment, slipper-like, the jury's still out.

This has been a terrible running year for me, but the silver lining is that all of these shoes are still in the "rotation" that the shoetubers wibble on about. Fingers and toes are crossed for a decent comeback next year.
Nov 2021
6:36pm, 24 Nov 2021
23,767 posts
  •  
Dvorak
That's quite a list! And a few quid spent ;-)
Nov 2021
6:37pm, 24 Nov 2021
389 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
True, but I'm worth it!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ZenTaoPlurp
Guidance and recommendations sought.

Background: lightish runner ~63kg. Prefers light, neutral, c...