Cinderella seeks shoe

2 watchers
Jun 2020
3:09pm, 19 Jun 2020
164 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
Guidance and recommendations sought.

Background: lightish runner ~63kg. Prefers light, neutral, cushioned shoes for both speed and longer distance. Pace is 7 - 8 minute miling (and gradually falls apart after 16 miles in a marathon, but that's for another day). Marginally wider across the forefoot; evidenced by hotspots normally arising on the outside of big toes or painful little toes. Arches are normal but may be slightly further forward than some shoes are designed for, since arch irritation sometimes arises and sizing-up risks the too-big-shoe-swimming-about-in problem. Light, wide fitting shoes are rare and tend to be too wide. Standard width will often irritate in the runs following the test run.

Current shoes: dwindling stockpile of Hoka Tracers sized up a whole size. They're not perfect but tolerable from 5k to marathon. The little toes get mashed until the upper conforms.

Tried in the recent past:

Hoka Rincon: nicely boingy but discomfort arises on the inside of the foot behind the big toe.

Hoka Machs: arch irritation.

NB Beacons: Far firmer in the heel than they should be with inside of forefoot discomfort. They felt like slippers during the first miles.

NB 1080v10: Heel pain, clumpy as bricks, just no.

NB Fuelcell Propel: clumpy, heel pain.

On Cloudflow: interestingly cushioned for the first miles, then heel and forefoot pain and a vow never to wear them again.

Fallen out with in the past: Asics, Adidas Adios and Glide, Saucony Zealots and Ride, Nike Lunaglide.

The shoe reviews blare trumpets about the snap, crackle and pop of almost every shoe, yet most tend to disappoint when on my feet. Yes, I've sought guidance in proper running shops but it tends towards trial and error: mostly error.

If I have an identical twin out there with the shoe of shoes then tell me what it is: there will be chocolate for the winner.

Perhaps a warts-and-all collection of shoe reviews by Fetchies would be useful: honest reviews by real runners. The review sites that I find enthuse about almost every shoe.
Jun 2020
3:36pm, 19 Jun 2020
8,788 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
It's not much help I suppose but I'm in awe of your perseverance with brands/models. For road shoes, I just buy the next iteration of the make/model I have worn for years Currently Asics GT 2000. I've never had any problems with them in the 25 + years I have used them.. am I just lucky ?
Jun 2020
3:50pm, 19 Jun 2020
2,243 posts
  •  
Fitz
If your arches are "unusual" have you considered whipping out the standard footbeds and getting custom ones made?

I'm a one-brand runner too. Was sold a pair of Brooks Vapor the first time I went to Runners Need and have worn Brooks (but different models) ever since.
Jun 2020
8:11pm, 19 Jun 2020
165 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
SoaPM: thanks for the response - I used to run in GT2000s and the 2100 series before them. I then discovered that I was nimbler in lighter shoes and didn't need the motion control. They did fit quite well. A more recent experiment with Gel Cumulus 18s still sit in the almost-completely-unused shoe pile. It's likely that I'm unlucky and that many are able to get on with most shoes.

Fitz: thanks. I've thought about custom insoles but never got any further than that. A recommendation from anyone would be gratefully received. Some shoes have thin and almost pointless insoles and others appear to derive a surprising amount of cushioning from the insole. It's a concern that adding an insole might upset the balance and reduce volume. Brooks: I tried the Glycerine once after a lengthy consultation at 'Run and Become' in that London. Once home and out running properly with them, they were too small and were retired pretty much immediately. Any lighter Brooks recommendations from anyone would be appreciated. How are they for forefoot width?
Jun 2020
11:20pm, 19 Jun 2020
2,245 posts
  •  
Fitz
I've used Foot Factor for custom insoles before, but that was to treat a specific injury - ITBS. Quite a few places peddle custom insoles as a "cure" for "over-pronation" (dismissed as bunkum in some quarters) but have a google around for purveyors for comfort, there was a place in SW London used to advertise on Fetch but I don't remember the name.

I would think a neutral shoe without the original insole is pretty much a blank canvas, so adding specific support for your needs would enhance balance rather than diminish it.

I mostly run in Brooks Adrenaline or Glycerin. But that's in no way a recommendation for you and your special feet. They are sometimes available in a wider fitting which might address some of the problem?

The caveman in me thinks we should all forget about complicated shoes and go back to running in plimsolls or Dunlop Green Flash like when we were kids, with no ill-effects...
Jun 2020
7:39am, 22 Jun 2020
11,319 posts
  •  
larkim
I do think it's so personal that it's difficult for anyone (shoe reviewer or foot expert) to review properly - a few mm difference in a foot width / length can mean good or poor fit in a shoe that someone else loves / hates, coupled with gait etc.

My shoe of choice currently is a Brooks Ravenna - I've been happy with the 7, 8, 9 and now 10. Well made, heel counter is smooth and doesn't agitate my achilles. But I'm also happy in Nike Zoom Flys and Adidas Adios Boost 4, though I tend to use those only for races or fast intervals.

My wife hated her Ravennas, even after trying a few sizes, and prefers Saucony Guides, as does my son, which is odd as she is a 29min parkrunner and he's a sub 16 parkrunner.
Jun 2020
8:52am, 22 Jun 2020
1,692 posts
  •  
auburnette
I like zoom flys and epic reacts - I tend to get on well with Nike shoes as most have a decent heel toe offset which I need to avoid Achilles strain. I find they are also quite bouncy/soft in the cushioning which my legs appreciate.

I have very high, rigid arches and poor ankle mobility. Feet are pretty narrow. I am a broadly neutral runner.
Jun 2020
9:11am, 22 Jun 2020
3,588 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I see you've had a few Hokas - have you tried any of the models that they do a wide fitting in ? They just do a few models in wide, but if you're finding problems in forefoot with the standard width Hokas, then it might help maybe ?

For a lightish, neutral road shoe, then the Clifton comes in wide.
Jun 2020
9:33am, 22 Jun 2020
3,589 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
A couple of lightweight cushioned shoes that are getting good reviews, but I've not used any :-

New Balance Fresh Foam Tempo

Brooks Hyperion Tempo
Saucony Kinvara 11

good luck !!
Jun 2020
10:16pm, 22 Jun 2020
167 posts
  •  
ZenTaoPlurp
larkim: agreed that it's down to the millimetres. I gradually realised that almost every shoe review I had read said "these are great, score: 9.something / 10". Thanks for the shoe examples: food for thought.

aubernette: thanks for the Nike thoughts. I'm Nike curious and it's been a while. From swimming I've learned that I too have poor ankle mobility and it's interesting that you mention it.

K5: I tried Arahis and Cliftons in wide and didn't feel the joy since wide is too wide and neither called to me. A marginally wider Rincon would be ideal. I'm curious about Bondis as they're said to be roomier in the forefoot in standard width and have more cushioning than a sofa - but, they're not light. They may be the ideal rotation shoe for long slow and recovery. Good shoe suggestions too - thanks.

About This Thread

Maintained by ZenTaoPlurp
Guidance and recommendations sought.

Background: lightish runner ~63kg. Prefers light, neutral, c...