Christmas Lists Fails

4 watchers
Nov 2018
11:49am, 30 Nov 2018
47 posts
  •  
Groundhog
What's on your Christmas list this year?

I have a problem with Christmas/birthday lists. No surprises. I really like a nice surprise. But, I'll take something I actually want.

However, when I have a list for the family to chose from I seem to get a version of what I wanted but not quite the right thing. I have even taken to taking screen shots of the thigs I want on Amazon, saying Get This Exact Item please, here's the link URL, just get that. And still get something slightly different.

Example - I asked for a book trilogy that was available all as one volume. I got three seperate books, one of which was from a different edition so it had a different style cover. I don't think I'm OCD, but it still made me shudder a bit.

So, any Epic Fails as Christmas gifts?
Nov 2018
12:45pm, 30 Nov 2018
37,018 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Oh yes. When I was a kid the Escape From Colditz game came out. It had a dark blue box with a picture of Colditz castle on the front with brave POWs trying to escape. It was quite hard to play and to win. One player had to be the Germans and they won by stopping you escaping. To escape, you had to collect stuff like 'rope', 'wirecutters' or 'hot air balloon' and then get them to the right place.

There was a bloke at the Working Men's Club said he could get them cheap, I think. All the kids would get their copy on the big raffle/Christmas do night. Me and several other kids eagerly awaited... the night came round and there were these light blue boxes.

When you opened it, the contents were completely different. It was basically Ludo with a picture of a soldier on it. You moved by flicking a spinner around. That was it. No Germans, no collecting stuff, no digging tunnels.

I put on my bravest brave face but at the time I was devastated!
Nov 2018
12:47pm, 30 Nov 2018
51,601 posts
  •  
swittle
How disappointing! Rather like a 'Monopoly' set without the metal dog, top hat, & racing car etc.
Nov 2018
12:51pm, 30 Nov 2018
37,019 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Actually, the previous year, we'd got a Cluedo from the same club. It was the genuine article except... it didn't have the room cards. We made our own out of an old set of playing cards!

That club has now been demolished and replaced by houses. Good riddance!
Nov 2018
12:51pm, 30 Nov 2018
6,247 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Escape from Colditz was a great game :-) Sorry you never got to play it !
Nov 2018
1:03pm, 30 Nov 2018
37,020 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Sorry for the thread takeover.

This is what I wanted:

This is what I got:
Nov 2018
1:04pm, 30 Nov 2018
3,477 posts
  •  
Eynsham Red
I’d asked for “Slade Alive” on CD but was given Slade Live at the BBC. Not the same at all. ☹️
Nov 2018
1:17pm, 30 Nov 2018
27,015 posts
  •  
halfpint
Last year I forgot to remove all of the psychology text books from my Amazon list before sharing with my mother. I thought she would actually think about what she was buying. I got a lot of books. She even gave one to my sister to give me.

I’m pretty sure we had an escape from colditz computer game. Would it have been played on a ZX Spectrum? Or maybe the next computer we had.
um
Nov 2018
3:29pm, 30 Nov 2018
623 posts
  •  
um
Please remind me never to upset McG...
Seems he carries a grudge for 45 years AND keeps photographic evidence just ready for the moment to let it all out.
Nov 2018
3:33pm, 30 Nov 2018
5,178 posts
  •  
Dooogs
That's it, um - for you, ze var is ovar.

(/Allo Allo accents)

About This Thread

Maintained by Groundhog
What's on your Christmas list this year?

I have a problem with Christmas/birthday lists. No ...