Christmas Lists Fails

4 watchers
Nov 2018
3:35pm, 30 Nov 2018
5,841 posts
  •  
sallykate
I don't think I ever really have a Christmas list but have given an awful lot of horrible smellies to charity as a result of in-laws thinking that what I really need is magnolia body lotion or rose handcream.
Nov 2018
3:37pm, 30 Nov 2018
5,180 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Sallykate - that's me with M&S button-down collar shirts with cuff-buttons. I don't think my parents have noticed that the work shirts I wear are all with cuff-links... ;)
Nov 2018
3:39pm, 30 Nov 2018
5,842 posts
  •  
sallykate
I once bought OH a button cuff shirt by mistake and was mortified but he pronounced himself pleased with it anyway.
Nov 2018
3:43pm, 30 Nov 2018
37,028 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Ah. Liebling's family, or bits of it, keep buying her horrible smellies. One year they were all made out of honey or bees or something. In some selection box type thing. It's still there, unopened.
Nov 2018
3:45pm, 30 Nov 2018
5,182 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Yuck - never understood honey as a fragrance (or a foodstuff, now that you can get sugar from other stuff)...
Nov 2018
5:23pm, 30 Nov 2018
44,226 posts
  •  
The Mighty Fleecy
The revolving cheese board (christened the revolting cheese board) given to us in our early 20s when we didn’t eat cheese back then.
And the folding hat from my MIL and the odd sock set (yeah, lol, fuck off with your judginess) and the cranberry smellies when I’m allergic to lots of smelly stuff.
Give me some fucking running socks.
Nov 2018
6:27pm, 30 Nov 2018
10,075 posts
  •  
Badger
I stick things on an Amazon list for my relatives. Unfortunately they have not mastered ticking the item off when they've bought it, so it's duplicate gift city most years :)
Nov 2018
7:27pm, 30 Nov 2018
27,018 posts
  •  
halfpint
My mother has provided me with a list of one item for her and one for my Dad. Long sleeved T-shirt’s for dad and a navy sweater for Mum. I’m not sure I fully understand what she means by a sweater and I’m pretty sure my Dad can buy himself long sleeved T-shirt’s. I have pretty much decided to ignore the list.
Dec 2018
8:49pm, 27 Dec 2018
161 posts
  •  
Groundhog
What happened this year?

I got things that were on my list, a few chocs just for me, some nice whisky, entry to a marathon and a toy to play with - the Italeri 1:9 model of a WW2 Triumph 3HW. That could be quite a few lost hours in itself.

Actually no fails at all - even a rubber duck with its head in the shape of Big Ben (the clock tower - you know what I mean)
Dec 2018
9:00pm, 27 Dec 2018
17,974 posts
  •  
TRO Todd and alligator dodger
My family have for the last 2/3 years started circulating the items they want as Amazon links to the exact item, and suggested I do the same.

After the first year I suggested it made a bloody mockery of the whole idea of gifts at Xmas, and suggested we go back to small, cheaper ‘surprise’ gifts.

I was told not to be such a bloody grinch and that they liked receiving the gifts. They still oooh and arrrr as if surprised and delighted by the receipt of something they’ve picked out from Amazon.

It does my fucking nut in, wish there was a way to bail out without causing offence. Or maybe I should just say no, damn the consequences.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Groundhog
What's on your Christmas list this year?

I have a problem with Christmas/birthday lists. No ...