Christmas cooking

4 watchers
Dec 2017
10:39am, 23 Dec 2017
3,611 posts
  •  
larkim
Anyone else busy with Christmas Day food prep? I'm allowed free rein in the kitchen for two days and love preparing for Christmas Day feasting!

Roasties already par boiled and frozen a couple of weekends ago. Today will mainly be getting the turkey, making pigs in blankets, peeling sprouts and shallots, making two kinds of stuffing and sorting out the starter.

Whole meal will be:-
Caramelised onions, mushrooms and gruyère on a puff pastry base with balsamic drizzle and salad
Turkey
Roasties
Sage and onion stuffing
Black pudding and sausage meat stuffing
Sprouts with shallots and pancetta in red wine and juniper
Winter roasted vegetables incl chestnuts
Miso and honey roast parsnips
Tom Kerridges Christmas carrots
Pigs in blankets
Port wine Turkey gravy.

Mmmmmm!!

And the kitchen will look like a bomb site ;-)
Dec 2017
10:41am, 23 Dec 2017
3,612 posts
  •  
larkim
And Christmas pud of course!
Dec 2017
12:30pm, 23 Dec 2017
9,882 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Good for you :)

Pud is made, cake marzipaned but needs icing
Mince pies I made got eaten/given to in-laws

My prep is usually like yours, however with everything that's going on I had no idea how many I was feeding and whether we'd want "the works" so I placed a holding Ocado order and edited it last minute to provide much of the dinner ready prepped.

Still on my to do list however is
Bread sauce
Proper sausagemeat stuffing
Stock from the giblets for gravy
White chocolate raspberry bomb
Raspberry tray bake (I have a freezer full of raspberries)
Yule log (only 2 days late so far)
more mince pies
Pavlova
sausage rolls.

I have a lurgy - hoping I can direct operations from my kitchen stool and get the offspring to help!
Dec 2017
12:37pm, 23 Dec 2017
3,613 posts
  •  
larkim
Good luck with corralling the troops!!
Dec 2017
1:01pm, 23 Dec 2017
2,199 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
My only ventures into the kitchen over Christmas tend to be for the washing up. As my wife does all the food prep, it's only fair. We're entertaining family and friends from Christmas Day right through to Wednesday, so I'm hoping that everyone mucks in and doesn't expect to be waited upon.
Dec 2017
1:16pm, 23 Dec 2017
5,899 posts
  •  
Wobbling in a winter wonderland
MrW has been cooking Christmas food since early November. Our freezer is full of scotch eggs, sausage rolls, sourdough bread and mince pies.

We have a gravalax on the go in the garage and boxes of homemade biscuits and fudge littering our sideboard; some for gifts and some for eating in the next few days.

Today & tomorrow we’ll get on with cooking the ham and making braised red cabbage.

Then on Monday we’ll have eggs benefit or royale for breakfast.

Lunch will start with prawn cocktail with the sauce made with homemade mayo and tomato ketchup made from tomatoes from our polytunnel, with gravalax. Then turkey, sage & onion stuffing, bread sauce, pigs in blankets, cranberry sauce, roasties, maple glazed parsnips, carrot purée, sprouts and gravy. All homemade.

Boxing Day is similar but with goose rather than turkey. And I’m making trifle with fruit from our rumtopft.
Dec 2017
2:01pm, 23 Dec 2017
3,614 posts
  •  
larkim
Wow wobbling, very impressive! I've never done bread sauce, always looks sort of peculiar. Maybe one year I'll give it a try!
Dec 2017
2:19pm, 23 Dec 2017
5,901 posts
  •  
Wobbling in a winter wonderland
It’s actually dead easy: steep milk with a clove studded onion half, bay leaf and peppercorns. Then just before you want to serve it remove the onion & bay leaf then throw in a generous handful of breadcrumbs and warm over a gentle heat until the breadcrumbs are swollen. Finish with knob of butter and cream if you want. Put the onion back in. I love it, stuffing & bread sauce are my favourite bit of Christmas dinner
Dec 2017
2:21pm, 23 Dec 2017
23,269 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Always makes me smile when I see packets of bread sauce mix "just add milk and butter". What's in the packet the? Just breadcrumbs?
Dec 2017
2:22pm, 23 Dec 2017
23,270 posts
  •  
HellsBells
*then*

About This Thread

Maintained by larkim
Anyone else busy with Christmas Day food prep? I'm allowed free rein in the kitchen for two day...