Chelmsford Marathon

13 watchers
AJH
Oct 2017
12:23pm, 20 Oct 2017
118 posts
  •  
AJH
Me, hoping to supervise a group of ladies round in about 5 hours :-)
Oct 2017
12:40pm, 20 Oct 2017
2,078 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Hi AJH. I may well see you towards the latter stages. I'll hit halfway in 2 hours and then fade to around 4:40 - 5:00. Not the best running year for me, so a sub 5:00 will do.
Oct 2017
9:53pm, 21 Oct 2017
2,082 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Have a good night everyone. Hopefully, I'll see you in the morning!
Oct 2017
6:21pm, 22 Oct 2017
2,084 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Got around in a best time for the year - 4:44:49. Nothing to write home about but after a running year to forget, I'm happy enough. The small climb from mile 10-13 was harder than normal thanks to the headwind.

Looking at the results, it suggests that the last person (484th) finished in just over five hours. Impressive if that's true but I very much doubt it as the course isn't pancake flat. I think there are some timing chips from some of the slower runners that are not on the Nice-Work website. Nothing showing as yet on the official J's Hospice marathon page or on Run Britain results.

I'll certainly be back for 2018 if the race gets the go ahead.
AJH
Oct 2017
10:03am, 25 Oct 2017
119 posts
  •  
AJH
Well done Phil, I loved this marathon! Ended up jogging round with a friend as the bigger group were actually looking at 5 plus hours. We came in a 4.49, so I bet we saw you somewhere :-)
Sep 2018
10:54pm, 1 Sep 2018
2,552 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Still a few weeks away but just seeing how those who have entered are gearing up for this year's race.

I've done all four Chelmsford Marathons but I'm desperately trying to get fit enough to make the start line this time around. My physio has given me the go ahead to continue training although my hamstring is still a bit tender. Hopefully, I'll make it to Central Park come 21 October.
Sep 2018
11:59pm, 1 Sep 2018
1,915 posts
  •  
Fitz
Good luck with that, SP, would be good to maintain your ever-present streak.

I'm not up to running maras at the moment but hopefully will be fit enough for it again next year.
Oct 2018
8:09pm, 9 Oct 2018
2,608 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Thanks Fitz. It might be a quiet one as far as Fetchies are concerned this year.

Still nowhere near marathon ready but I feel I can get around just to keep up my ever present run in Chelmsford. Planning to run the first 10-11 miles (where there is a gradual climb up to the halfway point). May walk chunks of that climb and then run-walk the remainder. It won't be pretty but a sub-five hour marathon is on providing I don't do my hamstring a mischief.
Oct 2018
10:10pm, 15 Oct 2018
2,617 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Had to miss my final taper for various reasons but will be fresh enough for Sunday.

Hoping that this year's event will be as enjoyable as in previous year's for what is turning out to be a really nice autumnal marathon.
Oct 2018
9:24pm, 21 Oct 2018
2,628 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I toyed with entering this year as I was not really marathon ready but I wanted to keep my ever-present streak going. As it goes, I finished in just over five hours whereas I had always finished in the 4:40's.

After the summer I have had and all the races I've missed, I am glad I did it. My tendinopathy flared up a couple of times but was able to deal with it. I did struggle with bad cramp just after mile 22 which put pay to a sub-5 hour marathon.

Marshalls were great and the weather was gorgeous. No real complaints and I hope the ambulance sirens we heard during the afternoon were not for our fellow runners.

About This Thread

Maintained by Fat Dave
Anyone else?