Cheating in amateur sports

17 watchers
Apr 2017
12:02pm, 17 Apr 2017
11,875 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
I really don't get cheating. No empathy at all. But then I don't care about the extrinsic it is all intrinsic reward for me.
Apr 2017
12:09pm, 17 Apr 2017
13,487 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Just been reading that in fact, Stuart. Story looks a lot deeper that simple "fantastist pulls wool over people's eyes". Wonder if his feet will have recovered enough to run at London. And if eg a well known sock brand will still be sponsoring him for that?

What gets me about this is the sheer lack of any bullshit-checking that seems to have gone on along the way. Media look for good news stories; charities want funds; people in general want to believe the best of other in such endeavours, I think. But it wouldn't have taken much digging to find out that this was ... unlikely. A fifteen minute run with the person would probably have done it.
Apr 2017
12:31pm, 17 Apr 2017
6,006 posts
  •  
The_Saint
The 2016 VLM result looks very "interesting", especially the theory of user "Timing Matt"
Apr 2017
2:17pm, 17 Apr 2017
157 posts
  •  
speedy rob
Curiosity draws me into reading about doping (including this forum, which I noticed today), but I'm usually left feeling a minor dent in positivity towards sport, and they fuel my scepticism. As I watched the snooker yesterday I couldn't help wondering whether players were on smart drugs: I know they banned beta-blockers.

For me WADA rules are fine, and I have no qualms about beetroot juice, allowed levels of caffeine and other optimisations of normal diet. The next big issue I suspect will be the extent of springyness of trianers, such as used in the Nike breaking 2 project, but like millions of others (well probably approaching millions) I wore trainers that claim higher energy return in recent races...
Apr 2017
4:41pm, 17 Apr 2017
6,229 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Which thread is that on, The_Saint? I have not come across it yet.
Apr 2017
8:50pm, 17 Apr 2017
6,007 posts
  •  
The_Saint
letsrun.com
There is one persistent troll that can be ignored fairly easily
Apr 2017
10:42pm, 17 Apr 2017
2,540 posts
  •  
mr d
I was going to do some work tonight so I not knee deep in shit at work tomorrow instead I read about 1000 vitriloic posts on letsrun.
Apr 2017
11:11pm, 17 Apr 2017
28,846 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Have just cycled through Germany but wearing my wrist TomTom - which will *only* do 'Running' or 'Running -Treadmill' - it was set up to sync with Strava. That of course logs 60 mile 'runs' as if I'm a turbo powered Mo Farah. I am now being emailed by annoyed Germans who think I'm cheating on strava - just spent the evening correcting the sodding entries...
Apr 2017
11:28pm, 17 Apr 2017
2,541 posts
  •  
mr d
Good luck you might be outted on letsrun before you finish.
Apr 2017
11:35pm, 17 Apr 2017
28,849 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Jeez - how did you sit through 1000 posts on there? I backed out of there pretty quickly. Angry, angry site.

About This Thread

Just read this in the Guardian. I'm not expecting the dopers to fess up here but any views on the m...