Cheating

46 watchers
Mar 2020
9:13pm, 4 Mar 2020
1,452 posts
  •  
monki
Not the thing this thread is intended for but I was massively pissed off last year when I achieved an unexpected time at a marathon only for Fetch/ Garmin to tell me I hadn’t run far enough to qualify for a marathon benchmark time. A rounding error, all told, but if you will abide by VAR...:-)
Mar 2020
9:21pm, 4 Mar 2020
11,991 posts
  •  
Badger
You can override that in Garmin Connect on the web - click the cogwheel settings icon and Set as PR.
Mar 2020
9:27pm, 4 Mar 2020
2 posts
  •  
f2001
There was a case a few years ago of someone using the spectator bus for part of the Kielder marathon
eg bbc.co.uk
Oct 2021
8:04pm, 11 Oct 2021
7,341 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I identified a clear cheat in the Brighton Marathon in 2019. He even posted a YouTube video of himself reaching the 10k mark only just in front of the walkers and sweep vehicle. His last recorded time was at 15k and then miraculously finished in around 3:30. I contacted the organisers who said they would investigate but his result is still there.

OK, the guy was a wheelchair participant and a known fundraiser but it was obvious to all and sundry that he turned down the home straight at the pier when the rest of the field carried straight on to mile 13.
Oct 2021
8:08pm, 11 Oct 2021
7,342 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Then we have this year's VMLM and the couple who copied their bib numbers.

msn.com

The guy did not collect a medal and his wife completed the course. Apart from banning them from future London Marathons, can she be disqualified? I suppose so although it would be harsh. They have already apologised for their actions.
Oct 2021
8:26pm, 11 Oct 2021
2,209 posts
  •  
cackleberry
I did an LDWA event one time where we over took the same group of walkers about 4 times.
Not sure what was going on there...

Wouldn't dream of deliberately cheating and if I realised I'd made a mistake that had meant a huge advantage, I think I would 'fess up. I'm such a back of the pack runner that suddenly coming in the top quarter would be rather obvious anyway!!

I have considered skipping an out and back CP in a fell race, but also I would report myself DQ at the end. This would be due to fatigue or not feeling well. Never actually done it though.
Oct 2021
9:33pm, 11 Oct 2021
80,313 posts
  •  
swittle
[In years past, Runner's World had a thread that outed apparent London Marathon 'irregularities'. Nipping over the barrier on The Highway [iirc] was a favourite move, and unexplained missing of timing mats too. ]
Oct 2021
9:56pm, 11 Oct 2021
39 posts
  •  
Fields
There have been a few cheats in the ultra world - I believe a runner in one of the early Thames Ring events was found to have suspicious movements and quietly asked to withdraw from the race.

I suppose the GPS tracking which is mandatory for so many events these days has probably eliminated a lot of the cheats.
Oct 2021
10:34pm, 11 Oct 2021
7,348 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
When Jason Scotland-Williams cheated at the VMLM, he was spotted jumping the barrier around mile 13 yet denied it when challenged.

Wasn't there a case of someone claiming to have used a portaloo, got disorientated and ran in the wrong direction around that area? i.e. ran miles 22-26 west, instead of eastwards towards Canary Wharf.
Oct 2021
10:42pm, 11 Oct 2021
80,314 posts
  •  
swittle
The MSN link you posted, Phil, lists quite a few of the more outlandish efforts. 'Tommy the Clown' covered the course collecting money in a bucket but, in 2008, his run prompted long discussions on RW. The thread's lost some contributors and images too but the general opinion is that Tommy didn't do the right thing.

forums.runnersworld.co.uk

I haven't heard of the portaloo predicament but, most years, a few celebs overperform and undergo trial by twitter.

About This Thread

Maintained by milemonster
Hi All,
I've been interested recently in the psychology of dishonesty, what drives runners to ...