Cheating

46 watchers
1 Feb
10:53pm, 1 Feb 2024
2,211 posts
  •  
auburnette
I would have a lot more respect for people in cheating scenarios if they just owned up to it without any minimising and then provided some insight into their decision making (without trying to make excuses). Unfortunately most just seem to disappear or make excuses.

Its a different form of cheating but I found the documentary about Alex Schwazer quite interesting because he accepted that he doped and explained why.
2 Feb
5:36pm, 2 Feb 2024
2,915 posts
  •  
Totriornottotri
I find that these things are white lies to hide shame. They say they’re doing it then don’t have a place, haven’t done the training etc. Very similar to Walts. Again a lie to cover an inadequacy but without the knowledge to cover it up properly so it spirals into an unrecoverable mess.
6 Feb
6:31pm, 6 Feb 2024
2,217 posts
  •  
auburnette
Really terrible excuses being trotted out:

reddit.com

(Excerpts paywalled Telegraph article where Kate replied)

Have lost a lot of respect and think there's a strong case for DQ from LLHM (less so from London as she wasn't running with a chip, although it's a waste of a much valued place and disrespectful to other runners who couldn't get a place to run it without even seeking to be recorded)
6 Feb
6:34pm, 6 Feb 2024
51,491 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Hmmmm
6 Feb
6:38pm, 6 Feb 2024
2,218 posts
  •  
auburnette
It's just a complete nonsense, there's no way as an experienced runner you'd accidentally cut that much of the course and not realise. Especially given you know how fast you are already running (you can see her watch was showing her at 48 or so minutes just past 10k, which she was presumably aware of and knows could never translate into a 1:32 half).

It's sad that she feels she has to save face like this because the cheating and lying about it is a much much worse look than "my running hasn't been as fast lately and I'm pretty upset about it".

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by milemonster
Hi All,
I've been interested recently in the psychology of dishonesty, what drives runners to ...