Charity event rather than a running one?

4 watchers
Apr 2012
4:17pm, 21 Apr 2012
3 posts
  •  
rob weaver
I think the charity part of the London Marathon is becoming more important than the running and is making the event the preserve of the middle classes. More on my 'Studs, Stumps and Spikes' blog.

robweaverregen.wordpress.com
Apr 2012
12:44pm, 25 Apr 2012
17 posts
  •  
mickeysalz
Interesting blog Rob and it addresses some points that some people might be afraid to put forward because criticising something that has such amazing benefits to society is clearly taboo. I ran the London Marathon this year and found myself frustrated at the sheer number of people around me. Until I realised that almost every single one of those people around me was doing this to raise money. In the end, I settled into the race and enjoyed it for what it was. There is always the opportunity for a PB on a quieter course.

So, in answer to the question, yes - I think it is becoming less of a running event, but all things considered perhaps that's not such a bad thing.
Apr 2012
12:49pm, 25 Apr 2012
41,404 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
There are plenty of other marathons
Also you can guarantee yourself a plca by running a GFA time, and thats definitely about running-fast!
This is my one charity marathon per year, the rest are for me and about running
Apr 2012
12:58pm, 25 Apr 2012
11,542 posts
  •  
sheri3004
There certainly seems to be an assumption in many quarters that *everyone* is running it for charity and indeed that the only reason to run a marathon at all is to raise money for charity, because the two things are now so linked in the public mind... I saw one bloke - just a random runner - interviewed on TV on Sunday and the interviewer said "are you raising money for a charity" and he said "no, not this time" and they didn't quite know where to go with it after that...
Apr 2012
1:02pm, 25 Apr 2012
41,406 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
yes, I get that all the time sheri-an assumption that I do all my marathons for charity
I mean, why on earth would you bother running a marathon otherwise
;)
Apr 2012
1:04pm, 25 Apr 2012
11,543 posts
  •  
sheri3004
To be honest I find fundraising far more stressful than training.... I hate feeling like I'm asking people for money all the time.
Apr 2012
1:04pm, 25 Apr 2012
41,407 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
with you there sheri
Apr 2012
1:07pm, 25 Apr 2012
1,903 posts
  •  
PeterWard5
I ran with my own place Sunday and fundraised for the BHF. I personally think the whole Golden Bond thing is a bit of a money making exercise for London Marathon company (and indeed Great Runs). At least I know 100% of what I raise goes to the charity, not what I raise less £500.

I agree that charity and running have become synonymous too due to the way that the media cover the event. At least they have stopped calling the masses fun runners.... that used to really get my goat.
Apr 2012
1:23pm, 25 Apr 2012
128 posts
  •  
JRitchie
I am a runner and I completed the London Marathon this year (my first marathon). I took up a charity spot with JDRF which is close to my heart as my son is type 1 diabetic. Doing something you love is great and raising money for a cause you believe in is very fullfilling. Put the two together and my experience is far greater than the sum of the parts. PloddingHippo has it spot on that there is a variety of running events which inthe round will cater for all and for me is part of the excitement of this great sport. I am unlikely to do anohter charity run for a few years (time, job, cba, etc etc) but I would say that if you took away all the charity banners and their support from the course would have been a lot quieter and it would have taken something away from the event.
Apr 2012
1:27pm, 25 Apr 2012
1,448 posts
  •  
Bru-Bru
Totally agree with your blog, Rob (apart from the bit which says 3h46 is a "modest" time). Without taking anything away from fantastic efforts by a lot of people to "raise" (i.e. collect from other people) money for some very worthwhile causes with VLM, as with many events, the big professionally run charities seem to have taken over to too great an expent.
There is something else which has been lost in the charidee takeover of big city marathons. Think back to the first, New York. It was run at a time when you could not walk through central Park, day or night, without being threatened with mugging, the murder rate was out of control, basic services did not work. Some brave people tackled the terrible state of the city by the "Iheart NY campaign and a brilliant idea - a sporting event open to all in the City. Yes, there would be a big prize to attract top athletes but what it was really all about was the decent people who live in a City reclaiming the streets - making it THEIR city and showing it's not all about the milionaire bankers at the top and the car jackers atthe bottom but the many ordinary people in between.
None of the big city marathons, it seems to me, has managed to preserve this idea. They have all become far too much about professionalism and money (albeit for very good causes) and national/international events. London should, first and foremost, be for Londoners (which would rule me out), then for the athletes and then 9why not?) for the fundraisers, too.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I think the charity part of the London Marathon is becoming more important than the running and is m...