Cemetery's ? Is it ok to jog through them ?

4 watchers
Aug 2019
4:39pm, 28 Aug 2019
First-time poster!!
  •  
ChubbyStepper
Hi all,
Just done C25K Week 1 Run 1! Still sweating 2 hours later but it's a start!

I live 100 yds from a cemetery which has wide smooth roads running throughout. Local roads to me are quite busy and I need to cross them several times to get around.
Do you think it's wrong to plod around the cemetery? Does anyone do this?
I didn't jog/plod there today just in case.

Cheers
Aug 2019
4:45pm, 28 Aug 2019
7,815 posts
  •  
GordonG
welcome to Fetch and well done on getting out there.

i personally don't think it's a problem generally, though of course i'd avoid running past an actual burial taking place! I'd say running through a cemetary would be OK, but not necessarily running round and round it.

but i guess there's also a question about running past upset people grieving at a grave - much more difficult to plan for.
Aug 2019
4:46pm, 28 Aug 2019
4,791 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I’ve run through churchyards plenty of times as footpaths often run though them, but (unless there is s public footpath running across it) I’m not sure I’d run though a cemetery. I’d be worried I would disturb someone coming to visit a grave.
Aug 2019
4:47pm, 28 Aug 2019
4,792 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Oh, and well done for starting C2K and I hope you keep at it!
Aug 2019
4:48pm, 28 Aug 2019
3,286 posts
  •  
StuH
Yes
Aug 2019
4:50pm, 28 Aug 2019
5,361 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Yep. I know of a fell-running challenge that starts and finishes in one.
Aug 2019
4:53pm, 28 Aug 2019
18,276 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Welcome to Fetch, ChubbyStepper!

I feel uneasy about either running through churchyards or walking when plainly dressed for running. But for me to want to run there, a churchyard must have a public footpath through it, so it's ok.

I feel as if cemeteries are different and I wouldn't choose to run through one. Can you observe if others do? You'd want not to be seen by any funeral, perhaps.

Perhaps you need to look at a good map and see if there aren't better options not too far away.
Aug 2019
4:55pm, 28 Aug 2019
13,217 posts
  •  
Homer
I usually avoid it

Well done on getting out there and enjoy the journey
Aug 2019
4:56pm, 28 Aug 2019
7,783 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Welcome to Fetch. I agree with FDNB. If the cemetery has no public right of way through it (such as a public footpath) it probably wouldn't be appropriate to run through it and certainly not do loops around it. But I guess it depends whether other people use it for 'recreation' such as dog walkers etc (a lot of cemeteries do not allow dog walkers).

I have run through several churchyards where there are public footpaths through them but if I did happen to be out on a Sunday morning or happened across a Church footpath only to find some other service taking place I think I would at very least stop and walk and ideally find another route. If the cemetery has no right of way though I think you'd probably be safer finding another route.
Aug 2019
4:58pm, 28 Aug 2019
13,970 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Welcome to Fetch and good luck with the Couch to 5k. It feels a little disrespectful to jog or run through a cemetery or churchyard unless a public footpath goes through. It's worth looking at the RunTogether website, you might find a local beginner group to tag along with. Other runners will soon tell you of good local routes.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChubbyStepper
Hi all,
Just done C25K Week 1 Run 1! Still sweating 2 hours later but it's a start!

I live...