Carrying Bikes in Car

6 watchers
Jan 2019
3:41pm, 23 Jan 2019
5,891 posts
  •  
Pompey Paul
Having tried all 3 systems over the years (back of car rack, roof rack, inside the car) my opinion is:

1. Back of car rack - easy to hook them on to the rack, risk of car scratches, bit of a faff fitting the rack, you spend the entire journey worrying they are going to fly off down the motorway or get nicked when you stop for a break

2. Roof rack - Up out of the way, boot can be opened, if your bikes are heavy you need to be tall and capable of lifting them above your head, you spend the entire journey worrying they are going to fly off down the motorway or get nicked when you stop for a break

3. Inside the car - more secure from theft, much quicker and easier to load than either rack system, obviously takes up a lot of space but creative packing helps, not great if more than one bike for bike scratches as they can bounce around on the journey
Jan 2019
3:43pm, 23 Jan 2019
5,892 posts
  •  
Pompey Paul
Another disadvantage of inside the car - after a mud fest ride on an MTB, you need to protect the inside of your car from all that mud
Jan 2019
3:47pm, 23 Jan 2019
20,452 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
PP - Large dust sheet from Wickes. Cheap as chips and dos a decent job of catching all the crud!!
Jan 2019
3:58pm, 23 Jan 2019
3,691 posts
  •  
jdarun
Having tried all options, the solution is to bin the car, get a van and put the bikes inside :-)
um
Jan 2019
4:11pm, 23 Jan 2019
746 posts
  •  
um
Or a Grand Espace. Just wheel the bikes in.
Jan 2019
5:22pm, 23 Jan 2019
11,484 posts
  •  
richmac
Drop the front wheel out, stick it on the back seat (covered in a blanket obvs). this works even in a C1, you may have to undo the steerer enough to swing the bars.
Jan 2019
5:23pm, 23 Jan 2019
11,485 posts
  •  
richmac
Oh and mech out of course
Jan 2019
6:11pm, 23 Jan 2019
70,260 posts
  •  
Hanneke
In the car! Even in a small car, it isn't that bad. Had a C3 once, easily fitted 3 bikes and two passengers and luggage in by taking the wheels off, putting the bikes upside down, bit of cardboard in between them, wheels diddled in between the frames, keep upright with bags of kit... I have also had vans to just wheel them into but only once did I have a bike on the back, well the ex hb did. It fell off and ended up causing an incident on the M25 :-o

I have also seen people forgetting bikes are on the roof, a LOT! Inside any time: safe, clean, easy! You can always use old blankets/sleeping bags and a tarp to keep them from scratching each other and the boot from getting muddy. When I raced, I always just put them on top of each other into my Pug 307... If more than 3, wheels off, upside down.
Jan 2019
9:15pm, 23 Jan 2019
25,411 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Inside, every time. We have a rear mounted rack and I hate it. I never trust it, as PP says, I used to be constantly checking that the bikes were still there. Luckily now we don't have to fit children inside the car as well :-)
And I have several friends who have driven under height restriction barriers forgetting that they were carrying bikes up top :-(
Jan 2019
7:31am, 24 Jan 2019
6,647 posts
  •  
larkim
It all depends how many bikes too of course - there are six of us so holiday taking with bikes needs at least four on a tow bar carrier and two (sometimes three) on the roof. Different situation if there's just two people, two bikes and a decent sized car.

If you're packing bikes with hydraulic brakes inside with wheels off, make sure you've got some brake spacers so accidental presses of the brake lever don't result in being unable to get the wheel back in when you arrive at your destination.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunningRonnie
Just bought a new car and trying to decide whether to get on rook bike racks, the kind that go on th...