Cardiovascular drift?

1 watcher
May 2020
5:55am, 9 May 2020
First-time poster!!
  •  
Rosohatica
Hello all. I am new to running and this forum. I am 39 years old guy who for over a decade did his recreation by mountain hiking on weekends and riding bicycle to work every day. Month ago I started running 5K three times a week and during this month I managed to change my average pace from 5:37 to 4:39. Quite an improvement - I am happy with it. However, in the last 10 runs I notice the same pattern in my heart rate. There is a steep increase between 6:00 and 6:30 min. Heart rate jumps from 147 bpm to 167 bpm. It happens during these 30 seconds. After that sudden jump the increase for the next 15 -20 minutes of running is gradual where I go from 167bpm to 180 bpm. Its pretty much consistent during the last ten runs. Is this normal and what could be causing it?
Best regards
May 2020
5:58am, 9 May 2020
2 posts
  •  
Rosohatica
Here is the graph how it looks like

photos.app.goo.gl
May 2020
6:00am, 9 May 2020
3 posts
  •  
Rosohatica
I forgot to mention that there is no change in pace during this steep increase in heart rate. I manage to keep the constant pace during the whole 5K run.
May 2020
6:41am, 9 May 2020
1,131 posts
  •  
puzzler
Welcome to fetch Rosohatica.

As you say it looks like fairly normal trace apart from that bump. When I see sudden jumps like that it’s usually a issue with the watch/HRM. But they don’t tend to be predictable like yours. Are you using optical HR on watch or a chest strap?
May 2020
7:01am, 9 May 2020
643 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
Hi, and welcome to fetch. Just to rule it out, are you running the same route every time, and is there anything at that point, a hill, busy road to cross, etc?
May 2020
8:40am, 9 May 2020
34,759 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi Roso. Welcome.

There is a separate HR thread I'll try and find a link. I'd agree with puzzler. My optical HR Garmin Vivoactive 3 does same. I find the chest strap more reliable.

Drift is normal with same pace but getting tired as you can't sustain it over time until you increase aerobic fitness. But it's a curve, hence drift. A steep jump ( unless you are doing intervals or hill repeats?! ) is a watch error.

Good luck. :-) G
May 2020
8:44am, 9 May 2020
34,760 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=3882

There are a few. A HADD one and specific watches and zones etc. Search HR or heart in search bar. :-) G
May 2020
1:02pm, 9 May 2020
4 posts
  •  
Rosohatica
Hi everybody and thanks for the welcome and help . I am using Garmin Fenix 5 watch with wrist heart rate, no chest strap. I always run the same route and the same milage. And its all flat land, no hills . I will look into the links provided and might invest in chest strap if it better. Should I run at such high bpm or do you recommend to slow down a bit and lower my HR?
May 2020
10:08pm, 11 May 2020
7,692 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
For optical heart rate always wear you watch slightly tighter than comfortable, you might get better success. As a general rule of thumb I’d run 80% of your runs 'easy' (Zone 2 HR) and 20% hard (Z4/5). You need to recover. Does F5 have body battery? If so, that combined with the recovery adviser is a good indication of whether you are ready to run hard.
May 2020
12:05pm, 13 May 2020
1,592 posts
  •  
oumaumau
Welcome to fetch Rosohatica :)

Do you have a similar trace with pace against heart rate? It's not that I don't believe you, it's just for interest... It could be you are trying near maximal effort for each run, having increased your pace by over a minute per km.

I notice there is a further uplift towards the end of the activity where I assume you 'go for home' and raise your effort again. Obviously you are generally fit, with all that cycling and mountain walking, I'd speculate that at around 6 minutes, your body (CV system) starts to take your exertion seriously, and steps energy systems up to meet requirements - maybe you're hitting your lactate threshold/inflection point. Up to this point you've been able to buffer the lactate, then suddenly you're drenched in it.

Does your breathing rate increase correspondingly at this point?

Have you tried limiting your pace to say 5:00 mins/km to see if the issue abates?

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosohatica
Hello all. I am new to running and this forum. I am 39 years old guy who for over a decade did his ...