•  
Caterpillar
Caterpillar has created a topic to discuss this race
Apr 2007
1:19pm, 13 Apr 2007
0 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Hey - just got email notification that I'm in! Anyone know what the course is like? Do I have to do some hill training?
Apr 2007
1:44pm, 13 Apr 2007
0 posts
  •  
trumpton riots
If the course is the same as last year, it is as flat as a witches t*t .
Did the full last year, which was 2 loops of the same.
Takes you out to Cardiff bay (bit dull), and a good chunk round Bute Park near the end.
Nice race, but not doing in this year, as there is no stadium finish.
Will do Palermo Half instead
Apr 2007
6:08pm, 13 Apr 2007
0 posts
  •  
WildeRover
Apparently - The course is expected to be nearly the same as last year.

The start/finish has been moved to City Hall (so no stadium finish), however, on the plus side this might mean that they bypass the 'grasscrete' (hoorah). This will also mean that it is a mile or so later into the course before it hits the narrow paths down the barrage, which may help congestion. They have also made some vague promises about timing pens at the start, but we'll see if this happens or is implemented properly.

As for the course - it is the kind of thing that makes pancakes jealous!

A couple of slopes - but with an overall elevation of no more than about 10m between course high point and low point, nothing worth worrying about. Definitely no hills.
Aug 2007
10:43pm, 24 Aug 2007
113 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Hello Cardiff HM peeps - how's the training going? I'm feeling (a) very confident of a PB, and (b) like I might just hit my crazy-talk target of 1:40.

Bit disappointed to hear there's no stadium finish - but the course sounds nice and flat. What are the water stations like? And which bits of the course should I take care on (for congestion, surfaces etc)?
Aug 2007
11:22pm, 26 Aug 2007
127 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Anyone? Anyone?

7 weeks of training left until the big day.

How's your training going, and what sort of stuff are you doing in training?
Aug 2007
4:04pm, 29 Aug 2007
6 posts
  •  
Tpod
Hi fetch! If Cardiff is as flat as everyone tells me, then i'm hoping for a PB too.

I've not been to Wales before. Are there any local customs i should look out for?!
Aug 2007
4:49pm, 29 Aug 2007
First-time poster!!
  •  
BelleVueRacer♣of Beartown
Hello - This is my first post on Fetch but I also post on Runners World.

Caerdydd is going to be my first 1/2 Marathon and my first run in Wales.

I've really been looking forward to it but have had to have two long periods without training due to 2 injuries...
1) Broke big toe on right foot playing football - 2 + half months off.
2) Fascia Tenonitis in both feet (only painfill in left foot).

Just started training today (in brand new Stability & Cushioning trainers) so hopeful of completing race. Still only training on soft surfaces but might test my feet on concrete in Manchester in mid September. Finding 5k difficult at the moment but I'll get there.

Tpod - in Cardiff if you're lost, don't ask, "Where is [name of place]?", ask "Where's [name of place] to?". When in a pub, order a pint of Brains (avoid SA if you're driving, it goes straight to your head despite being less than 5%).
Aug 2007
5:19pm, 29 Aug 2007
156 posts
  •  
Ravanelli
did Cardiff 2 years ago and it was Brill. Bit windy down by the sea, but the crowds were excellent.

Its very flat, apart from abit behind the Stadium, enjoy it.
Aug 2007
7:43pm, 29 Aug 2007
1,013 posts
  •  
WildeRover
OK - official route is now out on the website.

The whole course is flat - nothing that passes as a hill on the whole course. One or two 'slopes' up ramps, but no more than 2-3m rise in any one go.

First 3 miles are on wide roads, although two 90 degree turns in the first 500m or so might force people across curbs. The first narrow bit is down the bay at about 4 miles - hopefully things will have spread out enough by then, but it was a real bottle-neck last year when it was at only 3 miles. Also, when down the bay (3-5 miles) watch out for the tram tracks in the road.

Pretty straight forward on the way back to Sophia gardens except that there is one narrow path (but good grass either side) and a tendency to un-marshalled concrete bollards on paths.

From Sophia Gardens up to Pontcanna (8 miles I guess) there will be a couple of speed bumps, but they are quite flat ones. From about 9 to 12 miles it is going to be footpaths that are no more than 3 runners wide, but things will be spread out enough by then that it shouldn't be a problem (it has been an issue in the past when 2 lappers would be lapping the slow 1 lappers - but everyone should be going similar speeds at this point this year.

Then the worst part of the course is the last half mile. In past years there has been another mile after this, but this year the finish looks as though it is going to be just after the castle. So that means the last half mile has the sharp drop back into the park by the music academy (its not horrendous, but tough on tired legs), the the grasscrete (yuck) with a sprint finish across cobbles (!).

I can think of worse half miles, but awkward slopes and surfaces at the end of a HM is not the most pleasant.

About This Thread

Maintained by Caterpillar
Post race drinkies in The Eli Jenkins between Bute Crescent and Stuart Street. (Stand with your back to the front of the armadillo just outside where the big words are, turn 45 degrees to your left, it is about 100m in front of you). Hopefully drinkies will be accompanied by flapjacks and welsh cakes.