Cardiac Study - Veteran (40+) Female Runners, Swimmers, and Cyclists wanted

5 watchers
Jul 2017
1:16pm, 23 Jul 2017
36,800 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
I'm currently taking part in this study. I did think it was for women of 50+ but looking again at the ad it's 40+ (I saw women in their 70's at the CT scan this morning).
So far, I've done 2 of the 3 sessions and am finding it really interesting (and I have lots of lovely stats :-))

If you're interested, please call or email the contact below. Ideally you should run more than 10k every week (not sure of the specifications for swimmers or cyclists but it can't hurt to ask) and have competed in longer races too. There is no financial recompense for travel or time for taking part but you do get a VO2 max test :-) and a full cardiac workover.

If you have any questions about what it's like to take part in the study feel free to ask me on here or fmail if you prefer.

Are you a Female Veteran Athlete?

Older than 40 years of age?

Do you regularly run, swim or cycle and have been doing so for more than 10 years?

Would you like to volunteer for tests on your heart?

The Centre for Inherited Cardiovascular Conditions and Sports Cardiology at St George’s Hospital, in South London, is currently researching the cardiac effects of long term high endurance exercise in older athletes. We are enrolling healthy female volunteers with no history of heart disease, smoking or diabetes. The study involves three hospital visits each lasting 2 hours to St Georges Hospital, Lewisham Hospital (South London) and the Bart’s Heart Centre (Central London). Each volunteer will be offered an electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, cardiopulmonary exercise test (VO2 test), cardiac MRI, cardiac CT and a 24 hour heart monitor.

If you are interested and want to obtain a full information leaflet please contact: Dr Stathis Papatheodorou

spapathe@sgul.ac.uk 02087255651
Jul 2017
1:17pm, 23 Jul 2017
36,801 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
By the way, the 2 hospital visits so far have been 1hr 20mins and 60 mins
Jul 2017
7:15pm, 23 Jul 2017
36,803 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Boing for the evening crowd
Jul 2017
7:51pm, 23 Jul 2017
22,767 posts
  •  
HellsBells
seems to exclude ex-smokers though, so that's me out
Jul 2017
7:56pm, 23 Jul 2017
36,804 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
It does, I'm afraid :-(
Jul 2017
8:07pm, 23 Jul 2017
9,735 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Just what I was thinking HB
Jul 2017
8:17pm, 23 Jul 2017
95 posts
  •  
Julii
Thanks for this. I will get in touch but I want them to pay my travel costs to London (£35 minimum, I should think). Would love an up to date VO2Max test.

That said, 10 yrs is a long time and my routines have been up & down over 30 yrs. I guess they can only say no.
Jul 2017
8:20pm, 23 Jul 2017
36,805 posts
  •  
Bintmcskint
Worth a shot, Julli
Jul 2017
8:24pm, 23 Jul 2017
96 posts
  •  
Julii
Do they take blood while you're on the treadmill? Like a drop every 5 minutes for lactic acid or some such? Not sure I could cope with that.

I'm probably not endurance athlete enough to be eligible, but will ask.
Jul 2017
8:26pm, 23 Jul 2017
97 posts
  •  
Julii
What is your VO2MAX, Bintmc? Mine was 97%tile (preen moment), 13 yrs ago. Gawd I'm slow, though, no muscle tone to go with that, ha! I am convinced I have a small heart for body size, maybe that will yet be proven. Did you find out anything interesting about you from the cardiogram etc tests?

About This Thread

Maintained by Bintmcskint
I'm currently taking part in this study. I did think it was for women of 50+ but looking again...