Carbon shoes for better recovery?

2 watchers
Sep 2021
4:17pm, 8 Sep 2021
247 posts
  •  
Bowman
Ok kieren, interesting, will look in to that more.
Sep 2021
11:59am, 12 Sep 2021
4,219 posts
  •  
Kieren
Welcome. I suppose time will tell. I find it interesting too.

Source:

instagram.com

Some more potentially at the link. I haven't read through properly because I'm procrastinating before going to the gym. Probably should commit to one or the other....
Sep 2021
1:47pm, 12 Sep 2021
258 posts
  •  
Bowman
:)
I wonder how efficiency is measured.
I don’t use insta or FB, so I can’t read anything.
But still interesting.

Well I’m mostly out for the feeling, ie, softness and less strain when running at moderate speeds 5-5:30/km I think 1,3% or whatever he says in efficiency does not compare to feeling. There are so many more parameters in play here.
Sep 2021
1:56pm, 12 Sep 2021
4,659 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Kieren - your point above "I worry that too much time in carbon plate or shoes that take strain off supporting musculature could be a slow creep to atrophy and maybe difficult to pinpoint injuries."

I was reading something regarding this very point just this morning on Doctors of Running. They said we don't yet know the answer to that, but it is not the case in other parts of the body - the example given was that if you wear a big lumbar support, then the original thought was this would do the work of some of your back and core muscles and they would decline in strength over time, but some studies have shown that this is not in fact the case. Whether it is analagous to muscles in the foot, andkle when using a plated shoe for all your running....................
Sep 2021
8:15pm, 13 Sep 2021
4,220 posts
  •  
Kieren
Thanks Gus - I was so set in my opinion, I hadn't considered that even if they do spare some load, the remaining load is probably still enough to develop the foot / lower leg.

Blowman, here is a link to the study. I haven't read it yet - might do that now...

linktr.ee

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Bowman 🇸🇪
Like every other runner that likes gear I’ve been looking at the carbon shoe “news” last few y...