Carbon plate rebound shoes ?

11 watchers
Jul 2022
11:23am, 12 Jul 2022
18,417 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm sticking with the fact that for me I want to be able to compare me today with me 5 years ago and me 5 years in the future. So I'll be one of the luddites on start lines for years to come doing my best to still be wearing shoes which allow me to compare myself over time without the influence of speedy shoes.

As time moves on no doubt I'll find it harder and harder to source shoes that don't share some dna with the current generation of supershoes, but for my age and my level of performance it's much more about my individual progress than it is about what time I could clock if I had been wearing vaporflys.
Jul 2022
11:24am, 12 Jul 2022
17,567 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Bit like sticking motors in the bikes in the peloton.
Jul 2022
11:37am, 12 Jul 2022
42,907 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Some have argued injury reduction (not sure how that is) larks - would you use them to keep you "safe" or "healthy" i.e. reduced injury? :-) G
Jul 2022
11:49am, 12 Jul 2022
17,568 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
You could make the same argument for motors in bikes.

Give Wout Van Aert a motor in his bike and then he won't get injured.
Jul 2022
12:59pm, 12 Jul 2022
18,425 posts
  •  
larkim
Not at all like sticking motors in the peloton.

Like putting aero bars on, maybe, or using aero wheels and frames.

There is no outside force coming to play on the runners wearing VFs, hence the motor is a completely flawed analogy.
Jul 2022
1:13pm, 12 Jul 2022
17,569 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Lol. I'm sure lance justified it similarly
Jul 2022
1:23pm, 12 Jul 2022
1,417 posts
  •  
paulcook
Yes. Agree that’s a better comparison larks.
Jul 2022
1:26pm, 12 Jul 2022
18,430 posts
  •  
larkim
I don't recall Lance putting a motor in his bike?

It's OTT (in my view) to suggest that an off the shelf product, available to all runners, which introduces no new external force is akin to cheating in any way.

You know I'm with you in the sense of happy to remain as a non-beneficiary of these shoes. But for me there is nothing inherently wrong with a shoe being designed to incorporate passive features which make running "easier" (and therefore times faster). I just wish it had come incrementally or with smaller steps, rather than the out of the blue impact that it suddenly had.
Jul 2022
4:06pm, 12 Jul 2022
18,265 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
I don't know which races you're all doing but I'd dispute the 'everyone is wearing them' line - not where I am! I can't bring myself to spend that much, and some of them look so ridiculous! I don't think it's cheating - with larkim on that - and if I were to be gifted a pair I'd given them a go as I'd be intrigued to see whether they helped. That said, if I suddenly got a PB I think I would (personally) feel a slight fraud.
Jul 2022
4:32pm, 12 Jul 2022
23,188 posts
  •  
Ness
I think I'd try them if I could find an outlet where I could try them on before I bought them. I doubt they'd make a huge difference to my performance though.

About This Thread

Maintained by Son of a Pronator Man
At a recent race I noticed that about 90% of runners towards the front of the race - the fastest 10%- were wearing some sort of carbon plated rebound shoe. If you’ve got a pair of these, have they improved your race times ? How much of an improvement? Or is it all marketing and hype ?