Carbon plate rebound shoes ?

11 watchers
Jul 2022
10:17pm, 11 Jul 2022
8,889 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
At a recent race I noticed that about 90% of runners towards the front of the race - the fastest 10%- were wearing some sort of carbon plated rebound shoe. If you’ve got a pair of these, have they improved your race times ? How much of an improvement? Or is it all marketing and hype ?
SPR
Jul 2022
10:21pm, 11 Jul 2022
37,384 posts
  •  
SPR
fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-vaporfly-thread-60619/
Jul 2022
10:22pm, 11 Jul 2022
8,039 posts
  •  
Dave W
It's cheating a bit. Why not just strap huge springs to your feet and do eighty foot bounds, like Superman can.

Cushioning, good. Rebounding, not so good.

IMHO.
Jul 2022
10:32pm, 11 Jul 2022
77,365 posts
  •  
Gobi
Its where running shoes are now, not cheating when most people are wearing some form or other of Carbon plated shoes.

I'm not floating through the air with 3 metre stride either
Jul 2022
10:37pm, 11 Jul 2022
614 posts
  •  
Minimag
To answer your question, yes they have, but mainly the most hyped ones, about a 4% improvement, it costs, but I personally am prepared to pay that. Some see it as cheating, I'm ambivalent about it.
Jul 2022
10:47pm, 11 Jul 2022
1,415 posts
  •  
paulcook
Coincidentally enough, here's a study posted earlier today (?)

twitter.com
Jul 2022
10:48pm, 11 Jul 2022
8,890 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I don’t think it is cheating. The reason I asked the question is that this type of shoe has gone from being exceptional a couple of years ago to being standard kit now. To the point that runners who are not wearing them are the exception. As they cost about £200 they’re expensive but not so expensive as to be unaffordable to most. If they cost £2k a pair, that would be unaffordable to most.
Jul 2022
10:51pm, 11 Jul 2022
58,776 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I'm probably getting a small performance benefit in races from wearing Vaporflys, but it hasn't been a transformation and I'm not coming close to podiums or even my own PBs. What matters more is that I love the feeling of running in them.

I'm not going to turn my nose up at technology that's legal, affordable, of proven benefit, and worn by the people I'm competing with in races.
Jul 2022
10:52pm, 11 Jul 2022
1,416 posts
  •  
paulcook
I'm a complete novice where this discussion comes in, like I barely ever run road any more. But when you say they're not that expensive, how many miles can you do in them before the advantage of the carbon plate becomes redundant?
Jul 2022
10:57pm, 11 Jul 2022
615 posts
  •  
Minimag
There is the question. I have worn through the rubber after 60 miles in Vaporfly's! However, I have a very heavy left foot, and I think Velo has used her old ones as training shoes for many miles.
I am investigating resoling mine, and then using them for parkruns etc

About This Thread

Maintained by Son of a Pronator Man
At a recent race I noticed that about 90% of runners towards the front of the race - the fastest 10%- were wearing some sort of carbon plated rebound shoe. If you’ve got a pair of these, have they improved your race times ? How much of an improvement? Or is it all marketing and hype ?