Cancelled Credit Card

1 watcher
Mar 2016
1:11pm, 21 Mar 2016
6,698 posts
  •  
Duchess
One of my young colleagues has booked an expensive holiday with an overseas hotel, on a non-refundable basis, paying a deposit now with the balance due x months before travel and credit card details provided to support it. However she and her friend have been unable secure the time off so want to cancel the holiday.

The hotel won't accept a cancellation as it was booked as non-refundable (with a healthy discount on rack rate).
She can't sell the holiday because she hasn't paid for it.

Her current plan is to cancel her credit card, so the hotel can't take the money.

I'm reasonably sure that is a bad idea. The hotel has a valid contract with her and authority to take the funds. My suspicion is that the card company will pay out and then come after her in the UK for the debt.

She thinks I know nothing and, tbh, I can't find any advice online to back up either of our positions (it's not a recurring CCA).

Opinions?
Mar 2016
1:14pm, 21 Mar 2016
5,683 posts
  •  
bigleggy
citizensadvice.org.uk

She can ask her credit card company not to make the payment - but then the hotel might come after her for the money instead
Mar 2016
1:16pm, 21 Mar 2016
5,684 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Ah , just seen this bit :-

The rules about cancelling future card payments do not apply to card purchases for goods or services, such as in a shop or paying a hotel bill.

I don't know if 'hotel bill' would include the bill for a hotel stay that hasn't happened yet
Mar 2016
1:17pm, 21 Mar 2016
5,655 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Very bad idea. This will not go well for her if she cancels the card, neither the hotel nor the card issuer will let it drop.

On a side issue I hope she's been gently reminded that booking a refundable rate or waiting till vacation time is approved is the smart move in future.
Mar 2016
1:19pm, 21 Mar 2016
5,656 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Bigleggy, think it will still apply. Suppose it was a bespoke high-end kitchen, and not a hotel booking she had just paid the deposit on...just because the hotel may be able to resell the room it doesn't give her a get-out clause!
Mar 2016
1:39pm, 21 Mar 2016
527 posts
  •  
larkim
Stay well out of it - let your colleague make their own mistakes!
Mar 2016
3:15pm, 21 Mar 2016
7,071 posts
  •  
Badger
Reminds me of something overheard at a party once: "I did NOT say I thought it was legal! I said I wasn't quite sure offhand which law it would be against!"
Mar 2016
8:26pm, 21 Mar 2016
3,988 posts
  •  
Winded
Cancelling the card is a bad idea, there is no reason for it to stop any liability. Your friend is likely to find their credit rating takes a massive hit so they may find mortgages and new loans/credit cards tricky fro 6 years after the dust settles.

It is unethical but if I wanted to play the system I would find a contractual dispute with the hotel; that could be quite easy. That way there is a good chance that credit card payments fall under consumer credit legislation (obviously check the details first). Note I would not actually do this - I would go on the holiday I was paying for and enjoy it.
Mar 2016
8:27pm, 21 Mar 2016
3,989 posts
  •  
Winded
Oh - and larkim may give better advice than I do - much better!
Mar 2016
8:34pm, 21 Mar 2016
6,699 posts
  •  
Duchess
Lol, Badger, that's an excellent overheard remark.

She has been reminded but still thinks that because she didn't mean to book the non-refundable option, it's all going to be okay. Oh the optimism of youth....

About This Thread

Maintained by Duchess
One of my young colleagues has booked an expensive holiday with an overseas hotel, on a non-refundab...