Can you recommend me some trail shoes?

4 watchers
Oct 2013
10:08pm, 28 Oct 2013
1,366 posts
  •  
Carpathius
After yesterday's trail race, the upcoming local XC race series and a few experiences with local mud last winter I have decided I need some trail shoes. After reading around on the 'net I'm more confused than ever. There are no shops that I know of locally where I can go and try on a decent range (the Sweatshop is small and usually has only one or two trail shoes).

I overpronate quite badly
I have had ITB problems
Most of my trail/XC runs will be on grass and mud with some hard-packed paths or gravel paths
I have wide forefeet and narrow heels
I have never tried minimalist or zero-drop running shoes
I usually run in Brooks Adrenaline

Any suggestions most welcome, I'll have a starting point of things to look at.
Oct 2013
10:13pm, 28 Oct 2013
26,354 posts
  •  
swittle
What about the trail version of your present road shoe, Carp?

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Brooks-Adrenaline-ASR-9-Womens-Trail-Running-Shoe/120117,default,pd.html
Oct 2013
10:13pm, 28 Oct 2013
6,597 posts
  •  
Sombrero
Kanadia from Adidas. They are only around £45 or so online.

I'm on my 5th pair - use them for both road and trail. I've also done a 21 mile trail/fell race in them.

And HellRunner. Although that killed them. :-)
Oct 2013
10:22pm, 28 Oct 2013
3,051 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Trail shoes don't offer support for over-pronation in the same way a road shoe does, so you won't have to worry about that. Ditto trail shoes won't necessarily offer anything to help your ITBS.

Adidas trail shoes are a good entry level shoe. They can be up to a whole size smaller than you'd expect so order big. They can sometimes come up a wee bit narrow in the toe-box, but you'd be surprised how many people believe they have extra wide feet that are actually pretty normal. And vice versa.

Brooks Cascadia are pretty good too, a bit more expensive than the Adidas (around £80) but might be a better option if you already run in Brooks.

Have you looked into yoga to help your ITBS? There's a pose called pigeon that is bliss for tight IT bands.
Oct 2013
10:25pm, 28 Oct 2013
6,263 posts
  •  
GordonG
i'd recommend the kanadia too (i find them really comfy to wear when not running, as well), though i had to get a pair much bigger than my normal shoe
Oct 2013
5:52am, 29 Oct 2013
2,335 posts
  •  
Bru-Bru
Brooks road shoes suit my feet, as well. After trying a couple of others, I settled for Walsh PB Extreme as trail shoes: they are great for fit and very grippy, too.
Oct 2013
6:41am, 29 Oct 2013
7,830 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I'd be very surprised if the adidas fit you Carp. They're quite different in shape (narrower) than typical Brooks shoes. I'd have a look at Brooks, Asics or Inov-8. Don't worry about pronation, get the shoes which fit best is my advice ;-)
Oct 2013
7:12am, 29 Oct 2013
2,428 posts
  •  
rosehip
Inov-8 roclites :) - I like the sturdy 315s. They are the least minimal of the Inov-8 range ( I think) and they fit my narrow heal, wide toed feet well.

Also the "tread" on the sole is tough enough to last on tarmac on the way to the mud and they keep me upright even in the tractor churned mud round here. - You can get pairs for around £45 if you look around.
Oct 2013
7:50am, 29 Oct 2013
19,130 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
Or the inov-8 Roclite 295. Also a decent shoe for those with non-slim feet.
I have a few left and am happy to chat about them. What size are you?
Oct 2013
8:12am, 29 Oct 2013
6,784 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I love adidas Kanadia's and have 2 pairs they are very comfortably & not too expensive. Although I have just bought some inov-8 Roclite 315's they are very grippy! I'm a size 5-6, bought them in a 6 and think a 5 would have been big enough as there is plenty room in the toe area.

About This Thread

Maintained by Carpathius
After yesterday's trail race, the upcoming local XC race series and a few experiences with local mu...