Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Can you have a naturally high heart rate even if you are fairly fit?

2 watchers
Jul 2014
7:26pm, 12 Jul 2014
1468 posts
La maison de taupe
I'm 53 and have hit 200/202 on the final sprint in 5k and half marathons last year.

The problem seems to be that the test protocol is looking for 80% of age predicted HRmax so while he may have continued to level 5 according to the protocol he only reached level 2.
Jul 2014
7:46pm, 12 Jul 2014
1363 posts
Ceratonia
Just to add to what others have already said, I'm 44, run 4-5 times per week for several years and can still comfortably get my heart rate over 200 at the end of a 5k, from a resting heart rate of 45-50. I've also had my heart pretty thoroughly checked out (ECG, echo etc.) and no doctor has ever commented on it.

80% of my age predicted HRmax would be 140. Given that I can sustain a heart rate of 150-160 for 4+ hours of a marathon, I'd say the test is pretty flawed.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Liliaicha
My OH has just failed his fitness test at work.

He completed the 5 level step test, but failed be...