Can paint fumes / white spirit fumes actually cause a throat 'infection'?

3 watchers
Feb 2015
8:08pm, 8 Feb 2015
5,070 posts
  •  
Little Nemo - this kitten can
Sorry to hear that, Lailiaicha. Hopefully it is pharyngitis and the antibiotics will start to work soon. I had it years ago and it's horrid but I think it went quite quickly after I started antibiotics. I remember my mother liquidising my dinner because I couldn't swallow properly!
Feb 2015
8:27pm, 8 Feb 2015
1,184 posts
  •  
philbo
Go to A&E ?? really mmm , the fumes would not give you an infection , they are not meant to be inhaled over a long period of time but doubt they would cause any long term damage.
Feb 2015
8:47pm, 8 Feb 2015
1,586 posts
  •  
Minnie Mad
Years ago I helped my Granddad to strip the paint off a wall in my bedroom. A couple of hours later I came down with a crippling sore throat but no other symptoms which lasted about 24 hours before wearing off. I have always been careful when painting and decorating to have all the windows open and suggest sleeping in another room (even if its on the floor somewhere) for a couple of nights until the fumes have gone. At the time I put it down to an allergic reaction which is not a proper diagnosis but paint has some nasty stuff in it so I treat it with respect.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Liliaicha
On Tuesday evening my OH painted the bedrooms wall with a waterproof paint to keep out the damp. Des...