Can paint fumes / white spirit fumes actually cause a throat 'infection'?

3 watchers
Feb 2015
12:11pm, 5 Feb 2015
9,294 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
On Tuesday evening my OH painted the bedrooms wall with a waterproof paint to keep out the damp. Despite it being 'low odour' I thought it stank. That night we slept in the room, and by morning I had the beginnings of a sore throat. Throat seemed a bit tickly during the day and I began to develop a cough.

Yesterday evening another coat of paint went on and when OH cleaned his hands with white spirit I had a massive coughing fit. Throat felt sore, and had a bit of a lump in it, but I felt ok.

This morning I woke up at 4am and I felt like sh*t despite sleeping downstairs on the sofa. I now feel like I'm actually ill. OH can't believe that the fumes could actually give me some kind of throat infection, and neither can I really, but I'm blaming him and his evil paint and white spirit anyway :-(

Thoughts?
Feb 2015
12:15pm, 5 Feb 2015
5,064 posts
  •  
Little Nemo - this kitten can
Is it maybe an allergic reaction?

I used to feel dreadful when a particular cleaner cleaned our offices and it was purely because she used so much furniture polish! I had a cough that wouldn't go away until I got home away from the fumes of it.
Feb 2015
12:26pm, 5 Feb 2015
9,295 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
LN -I'm wondering that too. Even though I slept downstairs I suppose the fumes are every where, and it's a bit chilly to have the windows open! It was definitely the White spirit fumes that set off my bad coughing fit. (Although I get the same reaction to fried chilli when my OH burns them)

But now I'm act feeling ill.
Feb 2015
12:26pm, 5 Feb 2015
9,296 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
*actually
Feb 2015
5:08pm, 5 Feb 2015
9,298 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Bumped for the evening crowd.

I'm feeling worse and worse. Maybe the fumes were just a coincidence :-(
Feb 2015
5:59pm, 5 Feb 2015
1,890 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
White spirit won't give you an infection but it is hazardous, and inhaling the fumes will not do you any good.

That is why it will say on it is hazardous and should be used in well ventilated areas.

I suspect the paint will say something similar and as it has been cold you probably not had the window open.

If you are lucky you will have a sore throat and not damaged your lungs. Otherwise you can do yourself some damage.

I would consider ringing your gp with the details of the paint to see if thay want to check your lungs.
Feb 2015
6:01pm, 5 Feb 2015
1,891 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
Or having read again ring that nhs helpline/ go to a-e.
Feb 2015
11:33am, 8 Feb 2015
5,068 posts
  •  
Little Nemo - this kitten can
Hi Liliaicha, are you feeling better now?
Feb 2015
1:59pm, 8 Feb 2015
4 posts
  •  
Frenchy
Can I ask what paint you were using? I used to work for AkzoNobel which makes Dulux. All indoor paints should be waterborne and not solventborne which is only for outdoors for the last few years.
Feb 2015
2:35pm, 8 Feb 2015
9,302 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Frenchy - ZINSSER Watertight waterproofing paint, and it is solvent based, but claims to be 'ultra low odour' Reading the small print on the can it says "may cause respiratory irritation" it also says use in a well ventilated area!! The paint was dry when we went to bed, but maybe I was just more sensitive to it. Won't be making that stupid mistake again.

Nemo - no :( I've been getting worse and worse. I can barely swallow and I've lost my voice. I felt so dreadful this morning that I called 111 and managed to get a doc to call me back about 1.5 hours later. He organised an appointment with a doc in a drop in centre for me. Apparently I have Pharyngitis probably viral, but possibly bacterial so prescribed me some anti-biotics but said not to take them until tomorrow, which I found a bit weird.

I told him about the paint, but he didn't seem concerned.

About This Thread

Maintained by Liliaicha
On Tuesday evening my OH painted the bedrooms wall with a waterproof paint to keep out the damp. Des...