Can anyone suggest a good way of carrying gels on a marathon?

1 lurker | 6 watchers
Nov 2022
2:08pm, 3 Nov 2022
1,082 posts
  •  
BK brighter days ahead
Don’t use gels but if I did there are several brands of shorts available that have slip in gel pockets - decathlon and under armour trail shorts work well - I use the gel pockets to stash dried apricots and candy kittens.
Nov 2022
2:55pm, 3 Nov 2022
19,517 posts
  •  
larkim
My goodness Larkin, I hadn't thought of the DQ possibility! That's not a good thing to have on your race CV.
There have been reports of race winners getting DQ'd for this, but obviously it would be pretty extreme in a big city marathon for this even to be thought about. I do like a good rule book though!
Nov 2022
3:12pm, 3 Nov 2022
78,275 posts
  •  
Gobi
I used to just run with 2 in each hand
Nov 2022
3:42pm, 3 Nov 2022
2,288 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
I have Ron Hill “cargo” shorts with 2x gel pockets on each hip. I also have 2 ‘SPI’ (small personal items) belts that have 6 and 4 elasticated loops for gels on each respectively.

I tend to distribute up to 8 gels in total in a mix of those options, to avoid too much weight in any of them at the start/early stages.
Nov 2022
3:56pm, 3 Nov 2022
6,144 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Double layer shorts with pockets. Loved the Asics Fuji Trail shorts which allowed me to carry four or five Hi 5 gels and an inhaler but used Kendal Mint Gels for London and they were too big and heavy for the pockets so wore RonHill shorts with pockets on the inner short for gels and a zipped pocket on the outer for my inhaler. I hate carrying anything when running.
Nov 2022
4:07pm, 3 Nov 2022
78,276 posts
  •  
Gobi
I didnt like anything around my waist when I was competitive but tolerated a lycra belt in longer races if I didnt have crew. Now most days i wear a belt for music or money or dog biscuits :-)
Nov 2022
1:27am, 4 Nov 2022
5,013 posts
  •  
FergusG
I used to run with 6 SIS gels in a Ronhill Cargo Belt that would bounce wildly and drive me to distraction as I tried (and failed) to stop them going awol. For my most recent marathon, I just ran with three in each hand and bound each set together with an elastic band.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Grant B
Hi, I'm looking for a way to carry 5 gels during a sub 3 marathon attempt. It needs to be lightweight, not bounce around, not impede my running and be easy to access them quickly without too much fumbling.

It doesn't need to carry anything else apart from the gels.

Any ideas? Thanks!