Can anyone suggest a good way of carrying gels on a marathon?

6 watchers
Nov 2022
10:56am, 3 Nov 2022
2,014 posts
  •  
paulcook
This is probably an irrelevant suggestion, but I presume it's a marathon where you're unable to leave water drops? If so, I tape gels to the side of the water bottle.
Nov 2022
10:57am, 3 Nov 2022
19,515 posts
  •  
larkim
Flipbelt worked for me, stashed 4 on each "side" of a pocket opening, and it was easy to slide them out when needed.
Nov 2022
11:33am, 3 Nov 2022
2,969 posts
  •  
Fitz
+1 for Flipbelt, easily holds 4-5 33-Shake gels which are quite bulky packaging.

You don't need to *flip* a Flipbelt, I just wear mine with the slits on the outside.
Nov 2022
11:48am, 3 Nov 2022
34,288 posts
  •  
Foxy
I have Salomon shorts that have mesh pockets that you can tuck them into the waist band.
Nov 2022
11:50am, 3 Nov 2022
11 posts
  •  
Grant B
Hi Paul, I have done that in the past, at the Halstead marathon, and that's a nice feature being able to leave your own drinks and gels en route. I've also had my wife pass me gels at a point in a loop of the Abingdon marathon. This will be for Manchester though, where it's a bit too busy for risking being able to spot her in the crowds. The flipbelts seem to be getting a thumbs up which is interesting. Food for thought...
Thanks again for the suggestions!
Nov 2022
12:04pm, 3 Nov 2022
18,692 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Flipbelt or small bumbag.
Nov 2022
1:04pm, 3 Nov 2022
19,516 posts
  •  
larkim
Strictly speaking isn't it a DQ if someone from outside of the race hands you a gel anyway? "Strictly speaking" only of course; would never really happen.

On flipbelts, I tend to wear mine for all races and it's only marathons I'd carry gels for. The ability to have a phone nestled in the small of your back "just in case" without noticing it at all is just brilliant.
Nov 2022
1:37pm, 3 Nov 2022
12 posts
  •  
Grant B
My goodness Larkin, I hadn't thought of the DQ possibility! That's not a good thing to have on your race CV. Don't think I'd employ my wife again for that purpose anyway as it was a bit risky. I think I'll go for a flipbelt. I'll try one in training to see how I get on
jda
Nov 2022
1:55pm, 3 Nov 2022
13,690 posts
  •  
jda
Pockets on normal shorts tend to be a bit bouncy (depending on style). I use a small ziploc pinned to the front/side of the waistband in such a way that it can be flipped inside the short for running and flipped out for access. That’s for my supply of jelly babies and Kendal mint cake. I can’t feel it while running.

Mancs will hand out gels though perhaps not your preferred type of fussy.
Nov 2022
2:01pm, 3 Nov 2022
1,924 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Flipbelt is great, I have the one with a zipper, and when it got a little heavy in that pocket, I could just twist it half a turn and it stayed in place well.

About This Thread

Maintained by Grant B
Hi, I'm looking for a way to carry 5 gels during a sub 3 marathon attempt. It needs to be lightweight, not bounce around, not impede my running and be easy to access them quickly without too much fumbling.

It doesn't need to carry anything else apart from the gels.

Any ideas? Thanks!