Can anyone suggest a good way of carrying gels on a marathon?

6 watchers
Nov 2022
9:41am, 3 Nov 2022
9 posts
  •  
Grant B
Hi, I'm looking for a way to carry 5 gels during a sub 3 marathon attempt. It needs to be lightweight, not bounce around, not impede my running and be easy to access them quickly without too much fumbling.

It doesn't need to carry anything else apart from the gels.

Any ideas? Thanks!
Nov 2022
9:42am, 3 Nov 2022
28,353 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I have lycra shorts that have pockets on the side. I normally run with my phone in one pocket, and house key, maybe headphones and/or debit card in the other pocket. I reckon there's room for five gels instead.
Nov 2022
10:05am, 3 Nov 2022
60,699 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
A single side pocket on my Flanci shorts will hold at least four gels, a packet of Shot Bloks and a jelly baby. I know this because I finished the Chester Marathon with four High5 gels I'd taken at water stations "in case I need them later" or "because the kids looked so happy when they managed to get someone to take a gel" and some of the Shot Bloks I'd taken with me.
Nov 2022
10:12am, 3 Nov 2022
5,648 posts
  •  
Snoot
I use a Flipbelt and can fit a mobile, few gels and small (250ml) soft flask in so 5 gels alone should fit well. Access is fairly easy while still moving and it doesn't bounce.
Nov 2022
10:13am, 3 Nov 2022
2,148 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
Yes, I do the same with pocketed shorts. I must admit that some shorts might allow a bit of flap, depending on the size of the pockets and their cut, perhaps. If this really might irritate you, try instead a Flipbelt, which is slim, has no zips or tricky fastenings - just slits in a stretchy tube that you can slip gels, etc. into.
Nov 2022
10:20am, 3 Nov 2022
6,756 posts
  •  
westmoors
I use a Buddy Pouch when I don't have pockets on my kit. Comes in 3 or 4 sizes.
SJA
Nov 2022
10:24am, 3 Nov 2022
46 posts
  •  
SJA
Lots of running gel belts on amazon. I used to use a SIS gel belt many years ago with no problems.
Nov 2022
10:33am, 3 Nov 2022
5,462 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Quite a few shorts now with a large mesh pocket running all the way round the waist, split in to 2 or 3 or 4 sections. Can fit loads in these, tend to be marketed as trail shorts
eg decathlon.co.uk
Nov 2022
10:43am, 3 Nov 2022
10 posts
  •  
Grant B
Thanks for your suggestions all, really helpful.

I've been looking at the flipbelts which seem good, but I didn't know if it would be fiddly to flip it round and delve in there. I'm leaning towards shorts with adequate pockets I think.
Nov 2022
10:52am, 3 Nov 2022
First-time poster!!
  •  
Elinem
I've used a flip belt and didn't like fumbling about to get a gel out. A tri belt with loops was better, but I could feel the gels bounce as I ran. Now I have double layer shorts with pockets in the leg of the lycra undershorts and that works really well for me

About This Thread

Maintained by Grant B
Hi, I'm looking for a way to carry 5 gels during a sub 3 marathon attempt. It needs to be lightweight, not bounce around, not impede my running and be easy to access them quickly without too much fumbling.

It doesn't need to carry anything else apart from the gels.

Any ideas? Thanks!