can anyone please help a newbie

1 watcher
Apr 2012
9:37am, 16 Apr 2012
First-time poster!!
  •  
Digsby
Hi, as the thread title suggests I'm new to these parts and still not really sure what it's all about.
I'm taking part in my 1st ever marathon on Sunday and it's all a bit daunting at the moment. One of the main problems I'm trying to sort out (aswell as dragging my arse round 26.2 miles) is where my family can go to watch/support. I mentioned this to a friend who pointed me in the direction of 'fetch' and I ended up here.
Could someone give me a basic rundown of what it's all about? I've read a few posts about 'fetch groups' but I'm still not really any the wiser. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for being so vague....
Apr 2012
9:52am, 16 Apr 2012
8,598 posts
  •  
Pootle
Fetch Point, mile 13/22. You can't miss it!

londonmarathonfetch22.webs.com
Apr 2012
9:54am, 16 Apr 2012
8,599 posts
  •  
Pootle
Also, if you don't want to send your nearest and dearest to a bunch of loud, drunken Fetch folk the opposite side of the road is a great place to see people as it is generally quite quiet. My husband picked me out from the masses at about the 13 mile point, just past the first set of showers :-)
Apr 2012
9:55am, 16 Apr 2012
41,155 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
its pretty hard to get around on martathon day
I would say a good place is AFTER canary wharf, baout 19.5 miles
its quiet there
Apr 2012
9:58am, 16 Apr 2012
8,600 posts
  •  
Pootle
Hmm, not if you want them to meet you at the finish though Hipps. Husband and my friends went to Canary Wharf after they saw me opposite FetchPoint, and whilst they saw me (I didn't see them that time) it was so rammed getting back on the DLR they got to the finish about an hour after I did :-/
Apr 2012
9:58am, 16 Apr 2012
1,039 posts
  •  
Spidey fun
hi ya Digsby. fro my experience of Fetch it has multiple uses. talking to fellow runners though the threads with regards any problems/ injuries/helping others etc. a motivation tool where you can plot PB's and your training log. display fotos of your running for Fetch members to feedback their witty comments. its all good fun!!!!

i did the London Marathon a long time ago. i remember Town Bridge as the best place for spectators. its the half marathon point and u can see two parts of the track. thats unless it has changed in the last 14 years :)

speak again on Fetch buddy :)
Apr 2012
9:59am, 16 Apr 2012
1,040 posts
  •  
Spidey fun
Tower Bridge even
Apr 2012
10:11am, 16 Apr 2012
6,216 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
I'd say around Tower Bridge as well They'll see you at the bridge and can then walk to see you again when you come back that way ( sorry my geography of London is sketchy)
Apr 2012
11:14am, 16 Apr 2012
2 posts
  •  
Digsby
ok, thanks for the help.

So, if I've got this right, there is a 'fetch point' at mile 22 where supporters will be to offer help/drinks/whatever the runner needs?

Sounds a great idea. Am I too late to sign up?
Apr 2012
9:18pm, 16 Apr 2012
41 posts
  •  
Vicky W
Just been given a tip re Canary Wharf - apparently its best for supporters to stand on the side facing the river so that you can easily get to the finish line instead of taking ages to get there.

We're new to this VLM lark too, so thanks for starting this thread :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi, as the thread title suggests I'm new to these parts and still not really sure what it's all ab...