Camping and caravan club - and other numpty camping questions

21 watchers
EdJ
May 2017
7:38pm, 7 May 2017
205 posts
  •  
EdJ
Aah... we must have been typing at the same time. If you want a bigger tent (2 bedrooms, room for a dog crate + table and chairs in the living area) ours hasn't been used for a year or two etc. etc.
May 2017
8:10pm, 7 May 2017
8,704 posts
  •  
Rosehip
That's a really kind offer - but I do need something I can put up by myself for now - I took husband camping once - before we were married and in 25 yrs I've not managed it again - so the chances of a larger one being used are not high!
However - if it does go on the market let me know - sometimes he surprises me!
May 2017
4:46pm, 8 May 2017
34,612 posts
  •  
Fierce and Fearless Fleecy
The one you described is similar to a Quechua tent we have Rosehip, it takes about 5 mins for me to put up by myself and is pretty waterproof. Something along those lines will suit you fine, you don't need a tent you can stand up in if it's just for a few nights.
May 2017
5:25pm, 8 May 2017
425 posts
  •  
AndyJ82
Member of the C&CC but with a tin tent. We like our creature comforts so 'upgraded' from a tent.

Yes the pitch fees are discounted but they can still mount up in peak season. But, on the whole I find that you are paying for a standard that is generally maintained across all the club sites. I've been on some independent sites and it can fluctuate there.

The other bonus of being members is access to the CS/CL sites which can be quite basic (a field with a tap) to having showers etc. and are limited to 5 vans and tent field so peace can be found.

ukcampsite.co.uk is a great website to get reviews and locate some off the beaten track campsites.
May 2017
5:27pm, 8 May 2017
3 posts
  •  
TommyK
We're currently members of the other club but have been C&CC members previously.

I see you're intending Friday after work getaways - just make sure you're there before last check in (probably eight o'clock but check the website for the site concerned).

Whereas independent sites generally adopt a "pitch up and come see us tomorrow" attitude about late arrivals, that's a big no-no for the Club sites. If the Warden isn't on duty to check you in and point you to your pitch, then you don't get on.

As someone else said above, there's rules, you know! I once got a row from a Warden for having the temerity to turn up at a site, as a member, half an hour before last check in, not having pre-booked a pitch! The "discussion" came to a shuddering halt when I asked her to point out where in the club rules it said advance bookings were required.
May 2017
7:40pm, 8 May 2017
23,092 posts
  •  
halfpint
I rely on ukcampsite and have generally found great sites through it. The reviews are really helpful and you can set up a virtual brochure to save favourites or sites you want to check later. You can use map search and filter by various features, i.e. dog friendly, campfires etc.

C&C sites are bloody expensive for non-members so we steer clear. Our favourite site ever is Clachtoll - basic facilities but tight on by a stunning beach in NW Highlands. We've just booked our summer site at Kestrel Lodge in the Lakes.
May 2017
8:28pm, 8 May 2017
8,710 posts
  •  
Rosehip
I may not have got much else done today....
Have found a nice convenient site for daughter visiting though :)
Site prices vary hugely don't they! and I've found loads that have a two night minimum syat, which is a pain - but it's still a lot cheaper than a hotel room.

Off to investigate halfpint's site
May 2017
8:30pm, 8 May 2017
8,711 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Ah dog crate - that's a point hadn't thought about room for that. Need a new - and better - outside tether point too....
May 2017
8:41am, 9 May 2017
426 posts
  •  
AndyJ82
RH google delta dog tether. Fantastic bit of kit and keeps my 2 spaniels in place no problem.
May 2017
9:26am, 9 May 2017
4,735 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
We are C&C members and have used sites with no issues, the one we are staying on at Slapton Sands is one and discount means membership has paid for itself in the one stay. They all accept our dog, have fab walks and very friendly people (so far).

Have fun :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Rosehip
I have just about decided that the only way to get more holidays and long weekends away is to buy a ...