Camelbak advice/alternative options

2 watchers
Apr 2019
10:47am, 9 Apr 2019
4,603 posts
  •  
minardi
I'm on my second camelbak and have finally come to the conclusion that I'm either doing it wrong or me & camelbaks are not suited. I only wear it on runs of 16+ miles and I usually end up screaming in the shower afterwards when the water hits my raw back. When himself described my back as disfigured, I decided it's time to try to sort it out.

Any ideas or suggestions for alternative hydration methods?
Apr 2019
10:52am, 9 Apr 2019
3,065 posts
  •  
StuH
I think the key thing is finding a pack/vest that can be adjusted so that there is no movement but is still comfortable. I use a Salomon vest which I find comfortable.
Apr 2019
2:06pm, 9 Apr 2019
258 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
I use an Ultimate Direction vest which can hold 2 500ml soft flasks in the front and a bladder in the back. I also have a Raidlight pack for very long distances / when I need to carry a lot.

Before the UD vest I also had a Salomon one, but after 3 years of abuse it started to fall apart and I just didn't get on with the updated version.

I would suggest finding a store that stocks a range of brands, and seeing what works for you. that said, I have been hearing good things about the Chinese Aonijie stuff but that is online only I think (check amazon)
Apr 2019
4:58pm, 9 Apr 2019
31,145 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Like Sam, I use a UD vest for long, trail races. Two bottle holders, front mounted, easier to access and fill than a back pack.

It's got to fit though. Mine is the PB version (the biggest), there are 2 other capacities. And I don't know if there are different fits for smaller or bigger folk - and may well be men and women are different shapes?!

amazon.co.uk

However, for shorter training runs (15-20 odd) I use a bum bag. I actually prefer the weight round my waist. Access is easy with side pockets or easily swivelled round main pocket. Enough room for jacket, trousers, plus all my safety gear - foil biv bag, whistle, compass, some food etc. And it has a horizontal 2L bladder and tube too. Inov-8 Race Pro 4. Had it 10 years and only had to replace the bladder once, and tie on new zip tags, that's it. Comfy around hips, esp in the cold - keeps kidneys warm! amazon.co.uk (may no longer be avail but something similar?) newer version? amazon.co.uk

Good luck. :-) G
Apr 2019
6:15pm, 9 Apr 2019
38,869 posts
  •  
alpenrose
I don't use one but I have got a Salomon rucksack that a bladder will fit in. The problem I found recently is that it's designed for men (like so many accessories) so I ended up with a rubbed neck after only a very short time as they are meant for much broader chest and shoulders.

Who reckons that men and women are equal? :-p
Apr 2019
7:20pm, 9 Apr 2019
2,969 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Have you got it tight enough ? It shouldn't move up and down, or side to side, on your back. It should move with you, but not more than that ( if that makes sense ).

If there's not enough adjustment to get it secure then sounds like a new pack is in order. The "vests" from Salomon/UD/Nathan/etc are a lot better design than the Camelbacks in my opinion.

UD do women specific vests, think they are all called Vesta something. If on a budget then the Aonijie ones mentioned above are worth a try, basically a chinese rip-off of the Salomon one at a fraction of the cost. The Decalthlon one is also cheap and gets good reviews.
Apr 2019
8:41am, 10 Apr 2019
4,604 posts
  •  
minardi
Thank you for all your comments. Once I have this weekend out of the way, I shall find a decent shop and try out some variations (says she - I'll end up buying cheap off t'interweb and still suffer!!)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by minardi
I'm on my second camelbak and have finally come to the conclusion that I'm either doing it...