Cambridge Half new route

2 watchers
Oct 2019
4:19pm, 24 Oct 2019
25,874 posts
  •  
HellsBells
So, we have a new route for 2020. What do people think?
My first thought is that the paths through King's are narrow and twisty and I'm sure the college will have voted off their precious grass, so that section, coming early in the race, is going to be very congested, even if they stagger the start pens more.
The route through Jesus looks much less of an issue and is much later on.
I'm not sure about running the Trumpington Rd, Grantchester, Barton Rd loop in the opposite direction - it just doesn't feel right, and means the Barton Rd water station will be at just 7 miles rather than 8.25.
The good thing is that Garrett Hostel Bridge is now at 3 miles rather than 10+, which always felt particularly mean before.
I'm assuming the changes are partly to get Elizabeth Way and Chesterton Rd open more quickly as there were a lot of complaints about the traffic chaos last year.
Thoughts?
Oct 2019
4:20pm, 24 Oct 2019
25,875 posts
  •  
HellsBells
*coned off*, not voted off.
Oh for an edit post function!
Oct 2019
9:55pm, 24 Oct 2019
11,270 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
Haven't thought about it too hard, but I suppose this course lets them have a lot more starting waves and stagger the start times much more.

Also means the run takes in more of the photograph-worthy bits like Kings and Jesus and removes the less pleasant (and not traffic-free) finish back over Elizabeth Way bridge and Newmarket Road.

Compared with Oxford Half, which barely goes into any parts of the city that a tourist might visit, this route seems to tick quite a lot of boxes.
May 2021
10:57am, 12 May 2021
4,785 posts
  •  
12barDavid
I got an email this morning from the organisers of The Cambridge Half Marathon. Apparently, my name has been pulled out of the hat for a place in this years event.
So hopefully I'll be able to meet a few Fetchies before the start in October.
May 2021
11:03am, 12 May 2021
27,988 posts
  •  
HellsBells
Looks like everyone who entered the ballot is in with possibly some spare places in June
See you there x
May 2021
11:15am, 12 May 2021
27,989 posts
  •  
HellsBells
And to reply to my own first post, I loved the route last year, it really worked well
May 2021
4:57pm, 12 May 2021
4,786 posts
  •  
12barDavid
I’m in agreement with you HellsBells. The new route was so much better than two laps of the town.

The start was well organised as well last year, in my humble opinion.

HellsBells, is it true there’s a parkrun starting up in Ely?
May 2021
6:26pm, 12 May 2021
27,991 posts
  •  
HellsBells
David, I’m afraid I don’t know anything about Ely, sorry

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HellsBells
So, we have a new route for 2020. What do people think?
My first thought is that the paths through ...