Cambridge Boundary Run (marathon)

12 watchers
Mar 2012
11:34am, 5 Mar 2012
1,287 posts
  •  
mile muncher
All credit to the marshals who were out there in the freezing rain for hours on end. I did see a near-miss on the road - the runner had ear phones in. The run was quite a bit more (main) road than I had anticipated and earphones should have been a definite no-no.

Hellen, the second half was a bog-fest wasn't it! And I hadn't dressed appropriately either. Had to run in a space blanket for the last 4 miles, which wasn't easy with the wind whipping it about. I did feel sorry for everyone huddled into that barn, waiting for the bus, at the half-way point. At that point I think I was marginally warmer than they were!
Mar 2012
9:21am, 6 Mar 2012
252 posts
  •  
Roma
Having run many LDWA events I thought this was okay. I didn't have any problems with the organisation. Some of the arrows in the later miles were well spaced out but we managed not to get lost :-) I can't say I enjoyed the weather conditions but I had a good run so overall was pleased with the day.
Mar 2012
9:22am, 6 Mar 2012
3,592 posts
  •  
2 Flat Feet
It was only £8? And that included a tshirt? Fantastic value. Tailor your expectations to the entry fee, maybe?
Mar 2012
9:27am, 6 Mar 2012
746 posts
  •  
Mark J
No I hear you all but I think you're all missing my point which was: Compared to previous running of this event, this one was poorly organised. They let stuff slip a little. I fully appreciate the value argument, its a cheap race, absolutely but that doesn't mean the organisers don't need to run an event that runs on roads a lot of the time in safe and organised manner, or does it. Are you saying that because it was cheap we shouldn't expect or deserve to be looked after as runners?
Mar 2012
10:57am, 6 Mar 2012
1,288 posts
  •  
mile muncher
The cost of an event shouldn't limit the amount of safety that runners enjoy.
Mar 2012
3:20pm, 6 Mar 2012
5,957 posts
  •  
BlueWombat
I think that there are at least two types of such event.

At one limit there are road races that involve road closures, traffic police in attendance, marshals at every crossing and turn, and start on the assumption that no runner can be trusted to negotiate any hazard on their own initiative. These are usually expensive because the police and county council charge a bomb for doing something.

At the other limit there are LDWA type events where you are set off and left to find the route yourself (maybe with some instructions such as "TL at FP, cont. SLOT", hopefully correct etc) and expect you to look both ways when you cross the road because you are a grown up and responsible for yourself. They assume that you learned the green cross code many years ago etc.

I think the boundary run is an event with a light touch, in the manner of the second style. It does not set out to look out for you, but expects you to look out for yourself.
Mar 2012
3:43pm, 6 Mar 2012
12,492 posts
  •  
hellen
I thought it was a good event, and v good value for money, just think a few things could have been tweaked at the start/registration as it was all very busy

It was really well marked which I liked and it is no fault of the organisers that there was so much rain and wind blowing/washing away some of the markings

It was a little annohing that the email advised road shoes, it should have said if dry road shoes would be OK

Any idea when the results will be up, I accidenlty stopped my garmin at 24 miles!!
Mar 2012
4:04pm, 6 Mar 2012
748 posts
  •  
Mark J
I'm all for light touch and people being responsible for their own actions but if you're going to the trouble of putting a marshal on the course, in my opinion, they would be better placed by a busy railway crossing say rather than in the middle of a field?
Mar 2012
6:14pm, 6 Mar 2012
5,958 posts
  •  
BlueWombat
good point
Feb 2014
12:47pm, 26 Feb 2014
726 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
Is it a fair appraisal that a higher proportion of off-road running is during the second half of the Cambridge Boundary Marathon?

About This Thread

Maintained by BlueWombat
Another year, another circumnavigation.