calf swelling wont go down?

2 watchers
Jun 2013
5:21pm, 17 Jun 2013
273 posts
  •  
becky f
Ive got a grade 2 calf tear which I did 8 days ago.
Ive iced it,elevated it,had a sports massage,used heat, wear a compression neoprene support bandage,but it still looks swollen and redder than my other leg.How long does it usually take for the swelling to go down?
Jun 2013
5:49pm, 17 Jun 2013
9,005 posts
  •  
mulbs
ouch! no idea sorry but heal quickly
Jun 2013
6:16pm, 17 Jun 2013
2,103 posts
  •  
Wobbling
It can take a while. I would perhaps knock off using heat and increase the frequency you ice it. Keep it to no longer than 10-15 minutes at a time but perhaps try icing it 2-3 times a day.
Jun 2013
6:19pm, 17 Jun 2013
1,189 posts
  •  
FreshStart
What did the person who diagnosed the grade 2 tear tell you at the time?

Whenever I have had my various foot injuries diagnosed, the sports physio has always given me a timeframe for when swelling/redness etc should start to improve.
Jun 2013
6:24pm, 17 Jun 2013
69,214 posts
  •  
santababy
not sure you should've had sports massage so early on, it needed time for to calm down before that. doubt compression will be doing it much good either
Jun 2013
6:30pm, 17 Jun 2013
16,426 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Are you certain of your diagnosis?
Jun 2013
8:09pm, 17 Jun 2013
274 posts
  •  
becky f
Im not too certain,i went for a sports massage and he said it looks like a grade 2 calf tear.I was running race for life and about 2 miles in I had what I thought was severe cramp in my calf which only lasted about 20 seconds then I was able to carry on running but as soon as I stopped it was sore and I was limping.Im still slightly limping and I cant go down the stairs very good but up stairs is fine.My leg feels tight and weak.ive been doing gentle calf stretches and calf raises with no pain.
Jun 2013
8:15pm, 17 Jun 2013
275 posts
  •  
becky f
Also I want to know what cross training I can do if any with out making the injury worse?Ive been told to go on an exercise bike with no resistance which I had done these past two days but its pointless my heart rate only gets to 70 bpm.I don't want to lose all my fitness but im scared of tearing my calf more.
Jun 2013
8:45pm, 17 Jun 2013
16,427 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I would get to your doctor, just to confirm the diagnosis (or rather exclude other potentials).
Although it remains unlikely, DVT would also give you a sore swollen calf. It wouldn't normally present when running, but two weeks of immobility and inflammation caused by a muscle tear would produce ideal conditions for blood to clot.

As I say, unlikely, but get it checked.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Ive got a grade 2 calf tear which I did 8 days ago.
Ive iced it,elevated it,had a sports massage,us...