Calf Strain?

2 watchers
Dec 2013
8:35pm, 22 Dec 2013
4,493 posts
  •  
jonp
Good call K5. Absolutely true. Walking on a treadmill is a good option because you can control how long you walk for more easily.
Dec 2013
9:41pm, 22 Dec 2013
1,134 posts
  •  
And the first Rev in the Greenwood
2 weeks!!! :( :(

Tara - Sally didn't get back to me when I left her a message after the ankle.... but I can try again....

I do live in a hilly area..... I have to go up a bit of a hill to get to the gym....

I hereby resolve to do nothing until Boxing Day (I'm busy enough anyway) - and then start with walking and weights..... and be sensible...

And I still can't believe this has happened. I didn't DO anything!!!!
Dec 2013
9:51am, 23 Dec 2013
1,135 posts
  •  
Just had a thought - will a crosstrainer prompt that stretch reflex? It's a similar action to running, but without the feet leaving the ground...
Dec 2013
10:10am, 23 Dec 2013
16,700 posts
  •  
Hark the Herald Cookies Sing
Also, when you're better - wear compression socks/calf guards. I was plagued with calf problems for years until I started wearing these. No problems at all now (touch wood!)
Dec 2013
10:23am, 23 Dec 2013
3,077 posts
  •  
Doctor K
Rev, I am not a medical doctor just to make that clear ! My own experience is of my own calf injuries
Dec 2013
1:21pm, 23 Dec 2013
4,499 posts
  •  
jonp
Cross trainer should be fine, but I'd keep to easy walking for first week.
Dec 2013
1:38pm, 23 Dec 2013
1,141 posts
  •  
Thanks, all. That's my programme sorted out for the next couple of weeks, then.
Dec 2013
1:57pm, 23 Dec 2013
1,255 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Rev - re your comment above 'I didn't DO anything', I checked your log and you DID. You have doubled your monthly mileage in 3 months or so. You have done something, something that we all do and that's to get close to the limits of our bodies. Training and improvements is all about stressing the body and recovering, don't worry....you'll be back, soon.

Check my log, check Bazo's log and note the lower mileage periods - they weren't because we got fed up with running suddenly, they were little injury breaks.
Dec 2013
2:02pm, 23 Dec 2013
1,142 posts
  •  
I meant I wasn't running hard, and I didn't feel a sudden ping of something snapping, hence my feeling of incredulity, but I get your point. I've stayed well within the 10% per week increment guideline, and had extra easy weeks as well.... but it seems even that was too much :(

Ah well. BTW - the dip in my mileage in August was a sprained ankle.
Dec 2013
4:41pm, 26 Dec 2013
1,150 posts
  •  
Update - a walk yesterday between turkey and Christmas pud, then another this afternoon. Taking it easy, and so far so good. Am doing a little gentle dynamic stretching (i.e. just finding out where I start to feel it, then backing away rather than holding the position as you normally would).

That's enough for now. Feeling easier on the stairs :)

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
During parkrun yesterday, noticed a niggling pain at the top of my right calf. It hardly seemed any...