Calf Strain?

2 watchers
Dec 2013
9:34am, 22 Dec 2013
1,129 posts
  •  
And the first Rev in the Greenwood
During parkrun yesterday, noticed a niggling pain at the top of my right calf. It hardly seemed anything. Later, though, it got a bit more insistent and I wondered if I had cramp - stopped to stretch it, but when I tried to carry on, it was definitely painful, so I walked the rest.

It is not painful to the touch, or when walking normally, but if I stride out I can feel it, and I'm getting twinges when going up and down stairs - especially down. The suggestion in a blog comment is that this is a calf strain, which (google tells me) means some muscle fibres are torn.

Does this sound right? Why would this happen, given that I was only running very slowly, and have done this a hundred times before. I am puzzled and annoyed, and wondering how long I need to rest for. I can't afford to aggravate it, as there is the small matter of my first marathon to train for. And can you suggest which cross-training activities would be best - I have easy access to a gym, but not a swimming pool.
Dec 2013
9:46am, 22 Dec 2013
27,104 posts
  •  
swittlebelonelythischristmas
Rest 'til there's no pain walking or stretching gently - then rest it some more. Body needs time to fix itself, so don't divert its energy by other training. Personal view. I hold no medical or associated qualifications.
Dec 2013
12:12pm, 22 Dec 2013
1,132 posts
  •  
I can understand not doing anything that will stress the calf muscle, as that could prevent it healing. But surely it won't do any harm to do e.g. upper body weights.... and cardio work which doesn't stress the calf muscle will prevent me from losing too much aerobic fitness, won't it?
Dec 2013
12:55pm, 22 Dec 2013
3,075 posts
  •  
Doctor K
I've had a calf strain and having a couple of weeks off running but am still doing body pump which doesn't trouble it. In my limited experience with calf injuries rest from running is the only way
Dec 2013
12:59pm, 22 Dec 2013
6,256 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Ive had a few calf niggles and if they are minor have gotten away with just 5/6 days rest. usually though they arise after longer runs and I also suffer from calf cramp, same leg, same spot towards the end of every marathon now.

Resist the temptation to stretch it, ice it and compress it and hopeflyy you are good as new
Dec 2013
5:39pm, 22 Dec 2013
1,133 posts
  •  
Doctor K - would you agree that an activity which doesn't cause any pain is safe to do? I'm asking you because you're a doctor... you might prefer not to answer.

Why ice and compress, when there's no swelling, redness or pain? It only hurts when I try to run... Or walk quickly. I'm very grumpy....
Dec 2013
5:58pm, 22 Dec 2013
1,199 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
See Sally
Dec 2013
8:20pm, 22 Dec 2013
4,489 posts
  •  
jonp
Hi! Definitely don't run; you'll probably want to give it 2 weeks for recovery of a minor calf strain. Rest for next 2 days, then it'll be absolutely fine to walk on it as long as it isn't giving too much aggregation doing it.

Running causes a stretch reflex of the calf muscles (like stretching an elastic band), but walking doesn't because you don't go in the air during walking. So walking will help to get blood flow in the calf to aid healing without loading it up too much.

Take care and don't overdo anything for next 3-4 days.

Of course upper body weights, lifting etc is fine :-)
Dec 2013
8:22pm, 22 Dec 2013
4,490 posts
  •  
jonp
^^ when I say walking on it above! I meant to say swap out your runs for a walk instead. Start with 1 mile then add to the distance each day.
Dec 2013
8:31pm, 22 Dec 2013
398 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Uphill will potentially aggravate it more when walking than on the level - so avoid hills if you can. Same is true when you start back running again.

If you live in a hilly area then a treadmill may be useful

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
During parkrun yesterday, noticed a niggling pain at the top of my right calf. It hardly seemed any...