Calf Strain?

2 watchers
Jan 2014
12:22pm, 22 Jan 2014
1,399 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
Sigh. Here again.

I gradually returned to running, with an awful lot of walking. I was following Jeff Galloway's RWR protocol, using 1 min run/ 1 min walk, and this took me comfortably up to 13 miles last Monday, and 9 miles this Monday. Was building up the proportion of running on my shorter runs, including doing parkrun non-stop on Saturday. Slowly. Very slowly.

Went out this morning, decided it was going to be mostly continuous, and just over a mile in - ping. Walked home, gutted.

I have iced, but there doesn't seem to be any actual swelling, so I'm hoping this is still a grade 1 strain. My physio is on holiday until Monday. Obviously I am going to rest... and for longer this time.... and when I start back, I'm going to have to be even more cautious. And get some calf guards. And work with the physio to find out if I've got some kind of underlying problem.

Boo hoo :(. 11 weeks till marathon day, and my longest run (well, walk-run) is just over half way. But it can't be helped. I am determined to get to the start line capable of running, even if it is 1:1 walk run the whole way.
Jan 2014
9:28am, 23 Jan 2014
489 posts
  •  
Muddie
ooooh! Sorry to hear this Rev. I tore a calf muscle once - at the start of a half mara - but that was years ago and I can't really remember how long it took to recover. Didn't have the commitment of a marathon coming up so probably a long rest & slow rehab [I'm a bit of a wuss too, and it HURT].

Not a big help really but, you know, empathy.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
During parkrun yesterday, noticed a niggling pain at the top of my right calf. It hardly seemed any...