Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Calf muscle wierdness

0 watcher
Sep 2012
10:43am, 15 Sep 2012
812 posts
JimiG
Dear running folk, a quick question if you would be so kind as to suggest an answer.

Whilst recently running the Marathon du Medoc in 34 degrees after about 30km I had the strangest feeling in my calf muscles. It was as if an electric pulse was shooting up the muscles, this happened a couple of times to the point of having to stop running. I stretched my muscles out and the pain appeared to disappear. Later whenever i transitioned from walking (I'm afraid there was quite a lot of that towards the end) the same thing would happen. This wave of pain would ride up my calves sometimes 3 or 4 times and then would stop. It almost felt like an electric shot forcing its way up the muscles.

So the question: 1) what do you think it might be (I wondered if it might be lactic acid building up and then dispersing?)
Sep 2012
10:48am, 15 Sep 2012
813 posts
JimiG
Oh and the second question was (pressed the submit button too soon): is there any training I should do to avoid this pain in the future?

Thanks all
Sep 2012
1:35pm, 28 Sep 2012
10223 posts
SODIron © 2002
sounds like some sort of muscle cramp/spasm, probably brought on by dehydration....Google "muslce cramps when running" and you'll find a bucket load of links that suggest this and possible remedies.
Oct 2012
11:03pm, 1 Oct 2012
814 posts
JimiG
Thanks SODIron that's helpful - I am away to goggle.

Cheers
Oct 2012
11:11pm, 1 Oct 2012
915 posts
wiener dog
I had exactly this for about 2 weeks - physio said it was indeed caused by dehydration ( I did a hard paced longish run in the heat without a drink - I know Dickhead! ) I kept trying to stretch out the muscle but it just kept going into spasm more. Had a really painful sports massage and kept it warm after treatment it went totally in 48 hours. Lesson learned lol :-) Won't get dehydrated again. I now use electrolyte tabs after long/hard runs as I sweat a lot.
Oct 2012
11:12pm, 1 Oct 2012
815 posts
JimiG
interesting stuff on web this was the most helpful for me active.com
Oct 2012
11:13pm, 1 Oct 2012
12820 posts
DeeGee
Cramp? Tonic water's your friend.
Oct 2012
11:14pm, 1 Oct 2012
816 posts
JimiG
think I will be investing in electrolyte tabs - sounds like a good idea especially as I don't really like pretzels!!
Oct 2012
11:18pm, 1 Oct 2012
817 posts
JimiG
Tonic is that with or without gin!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by JimiG
Dear running folk, a quick question if you would be so kind as to suggest an answer.

Whilst recen...