Calf injury

6 watchers
Jan 2015
10:01pm, 28 Jan 2015
45 posts
  •  
Sailorsteve
Hi FDNB,
I'm no expert, just a "sufferer" so my first advice would be to go to a Physio in your area, recommended by runners.

That said, from my experience your symptoms sound similar to injuries that I've had before which I now believe to be between a level 1 and 2 calf tear (tears being graded 1-3). My experience of your type of "sharp pencil" pain was that you need a minimum of 4 weeks of no running, or 6 weeks if it is a full L2, to allow the calf muscles to heal, otherwise you just keep the injury cycle going - or make it worse.

My physio differentiates between acute "ouch" pain and duller "ooooooochhh" pain. With the former you have an injury and must stop. You will make it worse if you (can) continue through the pain and recovery time will be extended. If it's the latter and you ease off, you may avoid further damage and be able to continue training and healing.

Calf guards are simply supporting the Compression piece of the Rest/Ice/Compression/Elevation process of recovery but they won't cure a tear injury by themselves. I'm using calf guards to support my previously injured calf to try to avoid repeating the injury.

Sounds to me like you have an injury that needs the 4-6 week running rest period (A laser equipped Physio may reduce this recovery time. Take their advice). Biking and other non impact exercise is still possible to keep fitness going.

Good luck with the recovery!
Jan 2015
10:51pm, 28 Jan 2015
67 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Thanks for the reply Steve, what you say matches my research on t'internet. Like most people I guess, I was hoping for a shortcut to recovery. I should learn some patience!

Luckily I have found that using a spin bike or a cross trainer doesn't aggravate it so I will be taking my frustration out on those machines.
Jan 2015
4:22pm, 29 Jan 2015
46 posts
  •  
Sailorsteve
FDNB, Do it mate - you'll be so much better off if you can be patient. I dream of running pain free. It's so much more fun.

Best wishes.
Feb 2015
10:39pm, 26 Feb 2015
71 posts
  •  
Sailorsteve
How goes it FDNB? Hope the recovery is going well and not driving you too mad?
Jul 2021
3:10pm, 29 Jul 2021
39,363 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi Calf Tear friends - I know FDNB and Sailorsteve are still active Fetchies, but any other calf tear folk about please chip in.

I have had a proper calf tear before (tight before race, then in race, on toes, going pretty hard, proper twang and agony, limped home the last 800 metres - and I mean limped. Hopped really).

This was not that. This was tightness on a v gentle run, which then went ping (rather than twang) and was ouchy to run on or put weight on. Sensibly (I hope) walked back home. Rest, ice, elevation and a week's no running. Tried it again. Nope. Another week, tried again, nope. Eventually after 6 weeks I was able to run on it. 2 weeks very gentle (and I'm talking 12 min / mile or slower!) and I was up to 5 or 6 mile runs. Then 1 mile into a very gentle run, ping again.

So I'm now nearly 2 months of not running properly. Very frustrated.

I've decided to try and change something. I'm doing very gentle calf strengthening at gym. Calf raises. Any other suggestions?

And for prevention and/or recovery improvement - are calf guards/compression tubes worthwhile? I never liked look of them, but I'll try anything.

Thanks knowledgeable Fetchies, :-) G
Jul 2021
8:40pm, 29 Jul 2021
8,602 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Ooh, this is going back a bit. I had a look back at my training log of 2015 and I was off running for about 2.5 months and then a month of short run/walks before getting back into ‘normal’ running. I saw a physio but in hindsight I don’t think he was that great.

Looking back at my emails (I really ought to clear out my old emails) I went to a different, and much better, physio 18 months later with the same problem, might have been the other calf though.

As well as a load of exercises to do which I can’t remember, I think the thing that’s helped long term was the coaching on running for that the physio gave me. I’ve had calf niggles quite a few times since, and if I do I make sure I focus on my running form and maybe do a few run/walk sessions until it goes.
Jul 2021
8:46pm, 29 Jul 2021
8,603 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Oh, and I think improving my all-round strength has helped too.
Jul 2021
8:49pm, 29 Jul 2021
8,604 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
(The last but one post should have said coaching on running form)
Jul 2021
9:12pm, 29 Jul 2021
51,239 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Don’t run for a month. Work hard on calf raises / strengthening. Do not stretch calves. The problem is the initial injury apparently clears after typically 7 to 10 days but hasn’t really properly ‘knitted back together’. Be patient or you’ll be in a cycle of part recovery / re-injury for months
Jul 2021
9:24am, 30 Jul 2021
39,376 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Great responses both, many thanks.

DT, when you say don't stretch, is that to aid the healing/prevent re-tearing?

But once muscle is healed, and also strengthening to prevent re-injury, is stretching advised then? I actually stretch quite a lot and wonder if it's actually the stretching that might have *caused* the original problem (or at least assisted the cause)?

Is foam roller OK to do? Again, I do this quite a lot and thought it was beneficial? :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by SailorSteve
Hi all, newbie here. Just noticed the window telling me that I "haven't contributed anything" so ...