Calf injury

6 watchers
Dec 2014
7:02pm, 2 Dec 2014
13,721 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Best of luck Steve and K. Patience pays off ;-)
Dec 2014
8:43pm, 2 Dec 2014
6 posts
  •  
Sailorsteve
👍Cheers DT. Not going to blow it now.
Dec 2014
9:25pm, 2 Dec 2014
2,924 posts
  •  
Winded
I had a calf tear in the summer. I started running with a calf guard on that leg and it works for me. I was surprised at how much difference it makes, especially when starting again. That might just be me because I've got a wonky leg but I'd recommend trying one when you get back into it.
Dec 2014
10:13pm, 2 Dec 2014
7 posts
  •  
Sailorsteve
W: Thanks for the tip. I will have at least 1 more physio session so I'll ask about calf guards.
Dec 2014
5:03pm, 17 Dec 2014
10 posts
  •  
Sailorsteve
Just to sign off on this one.

4-5 weeks post-injury and I'm back running 2-4 miles on soft ground/beaches. No pain so the slow build-up of mileage begins.
Dec 2014
5:25pm, 17 Dec 2014
13,850 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Great news :-)
Dec 2014
5:46pm, 17 Dec 2014
3,624 posts
  •  
Pompey Paul
Good news Steve. I also recommend calf guards. I use these ones and love them:

compressport.uk.com
Dec 2014
6:42pm, 17 Dec 2014
41 posts
  •  
SVrunner
Have been using the exact same calf guards as these ^^ since Feb. Was continually getting calf injuries prior to this which was ruining my running. Now wear these for every run and have been able to run confident of not getting injured. Can't recommend them highly enough.
Dec 2014
8:10pm, 17 Dec 2014
11 posts
  •  
Sailorsteve
Thanks all.

I asked about calf guards and my physio is also a fan. I've had a compression bandage on my injured calf pretty much since "aaaaaaarrrgghhhhh" day and been wearing another one on my "good" calf on all of my recovery runs so far. Calf guards for me too now!!
Jan 2015
5:50pm, 26 Jan 2015
65 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Those folks who have had good results with calf guards - can I ask what sort of calf injuries you had?

I seem to have what is sometimes called "calf heart attacks" - I run gently for a couple of minutes and suddenly it feels like someone has stabbed me at the bottom of my calf muscle with a sharp pencil. Then it feels like I have the tip of the pencil stuck in my calf for ages afterwards.

If I run through it (I know!) the pain dulls but then comes back 10 times worse after the run and I'm struggling to walk down stairs. I've gave myself 2 weeks off running after the last one and tried a really easy run on a treadmill and it can back after 3 minutes. :(

About This Thread

Maintained by SailorSteve
Hi all, newbie here. Just noticed the window telling me that I "haven't contributed anything" so ...