Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Calf injury

3 watchers
Jan 2015
10:01pm, 28 Jan 2015
45 posts
Sailorsteve
Hi FDNB,
I'm no expert, just a "sufferer" so my first advice would be to go to a Physio in your area, recommended by runners.

That said, from my experience your symptoms sound similar to injuries that I've had before which I now believe to be between a level 1 and 2 calf tear (tears being graded 1-3). My experience of your type of "sharp pencil" pain was that you need a minimum of 4 weeks of no running, or 6 weeks if it is a full L2, to allow the calf muscles to heal, otherwise you just keep the injury cycle going - or make it worse.

My physio differentiates between acute "ouch" pain and duller "ooooooochhh" pain. With the former you have an injury and must stop. You will make it worse if you (can) continue through the pain and recovery time will be extended. If it's the latter and you ease off, you may avoid further damage and be able to continue training and healing.

Calf guards are simply supporting the Compression piece of the Rest/Ice/Compression/Elevation process of recovery but they won't cure a tear injury by themselves. I'm using calf guards to support my previously injured calf to try to avoid repeating the injury.

Sounds to me like you have an injury that needs the 4-6 week running rest period (A laser equipped Physio may reduce this recovery time. Take their advice). Biking and other non impact exercise is still possible to keep fitness going.

Good luck with the recovery!
Jan 2015
10:51pm, 28 Jan 2015
67 posts
Fragile Do Not Bend
Thanks for the reply Steve, what you say matches my research on t'internet. Like most people I guess, I was hoping for a shortcut to recovery. I should learn some patience!

Luckily I have found that using a spin bike or a cross trainer doesn't aggravate it so I will be taking my frustration out on those machines.
Jan 2015
4:22pm, 29 Jan 2015
46 posts
Sailorsteve
FDNB, Do it mate - you'll be so much better off if you can be patient. I dream of running pain free. It's so much more fun.

Best wishes.
Feb 2015
10:39pm, 26 Feb 2015
71 posts
Sailorsteve
How goes it FDNB? Hope the recovery is going well and not driving you too mad?

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by SailorSteve
Hi all, newbie here. Just noticed the window telling me that I "haven't contributed anything" so ...

Close