Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Calf injury - how long to rest it?

1 watcher
Dec 2011
10:58am, 28 Dec 2011
528 posts
Ian M
No problem Herman, I hope you get it sorted soon.

You can get your style looked at by either uploading a video of you running outside - most cameras will do this nowadays. Best shots are of you running past the camera first one side then the other without the camera panning at all.

The better way would be to go and see a running coach. Ask on the efficient running thread about finding a coach near you. Book a one to one sessions and see what the coach says.

Massage is great for treating the symptoms but doesn't actually address the cause.
Dec 2011
11:41am, 28 Dec 2011
196 posts
HermanBloom
Excellent advice, thanks. Turns out the massage place is closed until the New Year so I will focus on getting my running style looked at and will check out the relevant thread.
Dec 2011
1:50pm, 28 Dec 2011
671 posts
Lisa Tinsel
I would also invest in 'The Stick' or a foam roller to help break up those knots in your calf. I think often the calf can seem healed but when you run on it again, it hurts if you push it too far. Start back gently & don't try to push the pace or distance too much. Following a calf strain I was told by my physio it was ok to cycle as long as it didn't hurt & I did no hills & easy gears. I think this helped to speed up recovery by getting a bit of blood flowing to the injury site. Good luck!
Jan 2012
2:01pm, 19 Jan 2012
232 posts
HermanBloom
Update (more for myself than anything!): I am thinking of doing the Park Run on Saturday. That will be a month, pretty much to the day, since I last ran. I went for a sports massage in the first week of January, and have another booked for next Monday.

I have no idea if this is a good idea or not. But given the last time it needed 4km before I knew I was still injured, something like Park Run seems the best way to go. Especially as it's laps so if it does go again I am only a five minute hobble away from the car! :-)

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
The title may seem silly, but stick with me!

I injured my calf doing park run in mid-december. Ab...