Calf Guards vs Compression Socks vs Tights

3 watchers
Nov 2013
12:14pm, 13 Nov 2013
4,045 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Greetings.

I have long standing calf issues and am aware that marathon training can make little issues much larger due to the time on feet etc. My sports massage person suggests that I wear something during the winter training to help keep the legs warm/healthy. All three options above were mentioned, and talks with some at the running club mentioned Sports Compress as something to go for (someone is going to bring some tomorrow night for me to try).

Anyone with past/current calf issues, is there a particular route you would take clothing-wise?
Nov 2013
12:16pm, 13 Nov 2013
8,733 posts
  •  
Kif-Kif
FIGHT!!!
Nov 2013
12:24pm, 13 Nov 2013
10,314 posts
  •  
Argie
Snake oil is the way forward.
Nov 2013
12:49pm, 13 Nov 2013
1,460 posts
  •  
sLickster
I've tried a lot of these and have found those which I *feel* gives me at least a placebo, if not some affect, are ones that are a good fit. This is because fit varies enormously between different makes and styles and one that is good for someone else may not be perfect for you. My current one of choice is a pair of Compressport calf guards.
Nov 2013
12:56pm, 13 Nov 2013
4,046 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Ok thanks, Wondering how I check fit (I normally buy online for shirts etc as I just now a Large will do me!) so I'll have a look at companies returns policy etc.
Nov 2013
12:57pm, 13 Nov 2013
1,220 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
what Mr Slick said.

Tights - not tight enough; socks - tighter, not tight enough; calf guards - the business. I have Skins (OK) and Compressport (the business).

I must say that I tend to train without them and save the treat for race days but no real science in this.
Nov 2013
1:03pm, 13 Nov 2013
340 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Agree that calf guards are better than commpression socks, and way better than tights.

I tend to just wear mine for recovery after long runs, but some folk wear them for running as well.

Lots of expensive ones ( often Triathlon background brands ) out there, but cheaper brands which are just as good, are also available.
Nov 2013
1:10pm, 13 Nov 2013
7,336 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Ah now, you see, I love my 2XU tights - I generally only wear them after long runs rather than during, but they are the biz.Niz.
Nov 2013
2:00pm, 13 Nov 2013
300 posts
  •  
Johnny Panic
Arm-sized tubigrips are pretty good when folded to double thickness. Best worn under things (e.g. compression socks) so you don't look like a pov.
Nov 2013
2:13pm, 13 Nov 2013
15,923 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
Tights are for girls.

My compression socks now fall down (they were ok when I got them).

Calf guards are the business.

I used to have a lot of calf problems too until I got the compression socks (and now guards). No problems since.

One of the sites I looked at had a fitting guide for calf guards, but I can't remember which one.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
Greetings.

I have long standing calf issues and am aware that marathon training can make little i...