Calf cramp prevention - salt, skins or just htfu?! ;-)

7 watchers
May 2014
6:23pm, 6 May 2014
4,161 posts
  •  
Marts
I've used X socks compression before but I seem to rub the back of the heel in socks and at £20 a pair it gets expensive so I've moved onto compressport calf guards
May 2014
9:17pm, 6 May 2014
22,136 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The problem is I only get it over 20 miles and when I'm totally at my limit. So it's hard to test any magic solutions - salt or compression wear.

I know what you mean about science theory doing a 180 degree turn in 10 years or less FR. So I'll take the scientific gospel with a pinch of salt. :-) You see what I did there!

Right, I'm going to have a wee pouch of pure salt and in next big race when it comes on, I'm going to just lick salt, like sheep do.

Johnny, mine was somewhere between. I've had "threatening to cramp" but hold it off with a change of gait, in 2 maras (calves, but also a bit on hams and quads). Then in 2 hill races I got full on quad cramp, spasming uncontrollably. Quads are funny, because rolling around on ground doesn't help, so actually, just stopping immediately and not moving was only solution. Cramped again the second I walked. So I ran, through it. Argh!

This time calves fully cramped, spasming, I could feel the lumps, from behind must have looked like an alien trying to break out. Stop and stretch just stilghtly and spasm stops. Move 1 inch and it starts again. Walk a bit and it goes off, then point toe (e.g. step down a rock) and it's off. This was at before 30 miles, with nearly a marathon still to go. I don't know how I finished!

Paracetamol helped. Well, in the sense that when the cramp came on, I screamed less. :-) G
May 2014
9:52pm, 6 May 2014
6,750 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
This is my thread - explains exactly what I get.

Its only ever happened in marathons.....didnt arise in first 2 marathons, but did in my 3rd when I first broke 3:15...came on about mile 25 and caused me to change gait and slow, running at a pace that stopped full blown cramp.

Its then happened in all bar one marathon to different degrees. Its always the same spot, right calf, just on the inside. I have tried NUUN/High Five with no impact. I have tried compression socks and they worked (or seemed to) first time and I had no cramp. However that was a progressively run marathon rather than raced effort. Its happened every time since. Its started as early as 16, as late as 25. Usually worst on inclines, has been brought on by a fall once and when overstretching to avoid a puddle once. Only once has it stopped me in my tracks and actually was a calf strain so I had to run walk the last 12k.

I have come to the conclusion its a case of me running harder than my current fitness and I need to prepare better if I am to avoid it.

This has never ever happened in training or shorter races. I did once have a slight calf strain at tyhe end of a 23 miler in thee same spot though.

I reckon biomechanically that I overwork the right calf...its noticeably bigger than the left calf and when its asked to do to much it lets me know it needs a break.
May 2014
10:06pm, 6 May 2014
17,629 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
What about massage? I know that when I used to go, the therapist could always find the lumps where my pre-cramp had been and there was a very noticeable lengthening of my calves after she had bashed them around a bit?
Clearly no use during a race, but as a pre-emptive measure?
May 2014
10:10pm, 6 May 2014
6,753 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Done that as well Johnny - makes no difference. I had a massage on the Tuesday pre London and Thursday afterwards...no sign of any calf issues at either but on the Sunday, mile 20-21 was torture and it was then running as fast as the calf would allow thereafter. Oddly the slight hill out of Blackfriars tunnel which is normally a pinch point turned out not to be an issue this year
May 2014
10:26pm, 6 May 2014
10,603 posts
  •  
paul a
Don't wear the sweater then FR.
May 2014
10:38pm, 6 May 2014
5,574 posts
  •  
becca7
This chap is a Comrades runner. Anecdotal evidence but swears by Berocca because it has magnesium salts not just sodium. mymarathonclub.com
FR
May 2014
8:31am, 7 May 2014
1,420 posts
  •  
FR
I can always rely on paul for constructive advice, thanks mate ;-)
FR
May 2014
8:32am, 7 May 2014
1,421 posts
  •  
FR
Only had a massage once, and that was after my first Lakeland 50 back in 2010. Didn't seem to do any good so haven't bothered since.
May 2014
8:52am, 7 May 2014
22,138 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I like the massage as a pre-race ritual and as a repair activity after hard training or a hard race. But I can't afford it more often than a couple times a year, so I don't go much! I think it helps a bit. If I could afford it, I'd go every month or more.

Bazo, yours could def be in the "train that bit specifically to be a bit stronger because it's only when pushing really hard and completely fatigued"? So calf raises (while still also doing stretches to avoid tightening up in other areas, which I think you've had probs with too?).

But I'm also going to carry either pure salt, Nuun, S-caps (recommendation on Facebook from some other ultra folk) or Berocca, interesting shout becca, and you can just pop those the second you feel it come on? That's really the only thing I can think to do.

Also more specific training, obviously, though that's quite hard to do - I did down hill hard and some hilly training and racing and I got no quad probs in my race in question. But I hadn't been doing speed work and that's the only thing I can think that would have me more on my toes and hence working calves harder. I do plan to mix some more speed work into the training for next ultra cycle.

So Bazo, are you saying calf guards/compression socks helped once, but then didn't prevent it subsequent times? Same socks? :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hi there, I've had a wee trawl around other Fetch threads but just really want to ask again with so...