Calf cramp prevention - salt, skins or just htfu?! ;-)

7 watchers
May 2014
2:46pm, 6 May 2014
22,133 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi there, I've had a wee trawl around other Fetch threads but just really want to ask again with some specifics.

Calf cramp in a marathon or longer - flat road or lumpy trail, I've had it in both. Pretty severe but didn't stop me moving, but changed gait, hobbled whatev. And recovered fine afterwards no problems. Only getting it in latter half of event, so yes, I am fatigued at this point and generally giving it my all.

I ate and eat normally both before and during race. Lots of water, lots of electrolytes and gels plus "normal" food too (e.g. pork pies, sarnies etc. in ultra). So, solutions...?

Calf guards or compression socks - they look really silly, but if it prevents or reduces risk of calf cramps, I'll give 'em a go.
Salt tabs in water or directly eating/licking salt -

Or is it just fatigue as this blog/article suggests - joefrielsblog.com and irunfar.com In which case, just train harder and specific strength work for calves (hills and/or weights work)?

Or, can licking a lump of salt give immediate relief (e.g. as per Keith Ainslie's blog, here keithainslie.blogspot.co.uk ) ?

Any help gratefully received. Cheers, :-) G
May 2014
3:15pm, 6 May 2014
1,064 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
The irunfar article does quote some research about salt in the mouth having some effect but through a brain response, rather than because the cramp is related to electrolytes or whatever.
May 2014
3:58pm, 6 May 2014
679 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I think the electrolyte theory has now been fairly well disproved if you follow various links to all the studies.

So I go with the under-trained, over-use in races, of muscles.

Only ever had it in races when pushing at the limit ( or probably beyond ) irrespective of how much I've been sweating.

Actually, thinking back to hillwalking days - used to get it when winter walking where there was quite deep snow, which caused you to have an exagerated high step to left your feet out of the snow - a few hours of that, using muscles not normally used, and I'd often cramp in the groin, and certainly wasn't sweating buckets.

So, be specific in training - no point in being super trained on the flat if your race has lots of uphills ( calfs ) and downhills ( quads ). I imagine the technical nature of the Inversnaid to BG section would have you using muscles not normally used - was that where you had the problems ?
May 2014
4:53pm, 6 May 2014
10,602 posts
  •  
paul a
More training required.
May 2014
5:51pm, 6 May 2014
22,134 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yip, get all that science stuff, but what about the total anecdotal (with a bit of science - thants Ceratonia!) that just licking a lump of salt magics it away?

Any votes for calf guards or compression socks to stave it off? Keep your favourite witch doctor solutions coming in. Eye of newt and toe of frog...?! :-) G
FR
May 2014
5:57pm, 6 May 2014
1,412 posts
  •  
FR
HappyG, I don't hold much faith in sports science, if you wait long enough something that was dis-proven becomes gospel.

A couple of things that is personal to me.

[1] Starting with balanced electrolyte levels and hydrated is very important. (I suffered at the Highland Fling this year due to getting trollied on Thursday night).

[2] Beware of compression kit. It can cause damage, if the muscles have nowhere to expand.
May 2014
6:06pm, 6 May 2014
17,623 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I don't believe the salt stuff, but the anecdotes are fairly compelling. The actual amount of sodium in a lot of those pills is very low, you're probably better off with a bag of crisps!

I do wear calf guards in ultras, but more for tiredness than cramps. I find that they cause my legs to ache for the first two or three miles, once or twice this has been to the point where I had to pull them down. I haven't used them in marathons for this reason, I don't want anything to ache or slow me.

I *think* they help, but as much as anything they make excellent nettle repellants.

I use compressport. I have tried 2xu and skins and the compressport ones fit better and stay up. Some of this will be down to personal shape and size, but the 2xu and skins feel more flimsy too.

Are we always talking about the same thing when we discuss cramps? I get two types, firstly a vague sense that something might contract/cramp. Almost always my calf. Usually nothing comes of this and I run through it.
The second type is the full-on excruciating pain, unable to run. As Kevin Keegan said 'worse than a broken leg'.

This cannot be stretched out, and usually results in a tear which takes a few weeks to heal. Its happened three times and I have lost at least a month each time. The first time I did manage to hobble the second half of the Chester marathon, but the subsequent 2 episodes have been much worse.
I don't get the 'bit crampy-need a stretch' in the middle of the two extremes.
May 2014
6:13pm, 6 May 2014
4,159 posts
  •  
Marts
Happy what was the weather like? The worst calf cramp I've ever had was in the last 5 miles of a marathon when it had been raining and I'd turned onto the coast road with a strong crosswind and I felt it was due to rapid cooling of the muscles due to the wind and wet. However this is just another anecdote :)
May 2014
6:16pm, 6 May 2014
748 posts
  •  
jacdaw
Americans seem to favour pickle juice over salt.

But I still believe the tired muscle theory over the electrolyte thing. Otherwise wouldn't all your other muscles cramp too?

I get JohnnyO's type 1 cramp, followed by his type 2 sometimes. Always my calf, usually in long races, but sometimes short fast ones. My calves are always tight.
FR
May 2014
6:19pm, 6 May 2014
1,414 posts
  •  
FR
Perhaps you guys are right? I NEVER get cramp over short distances, say less than 20 miles.

The cramp does occur when over 20miles, however perhaps this is related to salt levels as being a large unit and heavy sweater I will have lost a lot of salt over the longer events?

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hi there, I've had a wee trawl around other Fetch threads but just really want to ask again with so...