Cadence / Stride Length ... Advice Needed

7 watchers
May 2016
8:44am, 16 May 2016
1,435 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
I'm looking at cadence the opposite way at the moment. Instead of looking at hitting a target number, I'm looking at other things within my running (form, pace, types of run, etc.) and while trying to improve those I want to see if my cadence number improves or not, as I have only recently started measuring it.

Incidentally, does anyone know why my cadence shows correctly in Garmin Connect, but then it's a much lower number when it imports into Fetch? For example, yesterday's 10k shows on Garmin connect as 162 average/187 maximum whereas the same training on Fetch shows a max of 85 and average of around 80-82.
May 2016
10:58am, 16 May 2016
7,339 posts
  •  
Badger
Garmin Connect uses a convention of counting every footstrike for cadence, but it used to have a convention of every other footstrike, giving half the number. Internally, the watches still use the old convention, and the site displays double that. FE is showing the number actually recorded in the watch.
May 2016
8:49pm, 16 May 2016
1,436 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Aha. So simply double the number. Even I can do that!
Oct 2020
8:16am, 23 Oct 2020
398 posts
  •  
Funky Chicken
Interesting thread - was surprised it didn’t run for longer. Having just bought a new Garmin, I had been wondering what ‘Cadence’ was trying to tell me, and it seems particularly relevant given that I’m prone to knee aches and injuries. If Garmin is to be believed, it’s reporting average cadence of 148 for my recent few runs, which it’s saying is an average stride length of 1.5 meters?! Even though I know I have a tendency to over stride, that doesn’t seem right at all. Has anyone else encountered a figure this low and were you able to get to the bottom of it?
Oct 2020
9:36am, 23 Oct 2020
399 posts
  •  
Funky Chicken
Just spotted the more recent thread, featuring Fetch's cadence analysis, so had might as well point a link to it: fetcheveryone.com/forum/fun-with-cadence-61244/2

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fazmo
I understand that I should be aiming for cadence of between 180 and 190 ...

When I train at a com...