Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Cadence sensor / Garmin 610

1 watcher
Jun 2013
2:04pm, 6 Jun 2013
438 posts
Fitz
Inspired by the recent Fetch articles on form and long-run pace, I'm thinking about adding a cadence sensor to my running kit.

The Garmin site has a footpod and what looks like a very clunky bike cadence sensor, claiming both are compatible with the 610.

Anyone have any experience / tips on the subject? Presumably if you have the footpod and a 610, the speed distance data is taken from watch GP, with only the cadence data taken from the footpod (it measures all three)?

And does the cadence data get loaded into the Fetch training log along with everything else, when using the ANT stick to get data off the watch?

Any other kit recommended, or is Garmin own-brand the way to go?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Fitz
Jun 2013
3:38pm, 6 Jun 2013
4044 posts
BanjoBax
Fitz I presume your presumption is right ;)

certainly on the 310 the default is to prioritise the GPS for speed/distance recording and use the footpod only for cadence or where GPS signal lost (you can override that default!)

I dont get cadence data into fetch automatically these days when I use the footpod, have to enter it manually the data is recorded in Training Centre, may just be me, it did used to load automatically.

I use the older larger footpod from my original FR50
Jun 2013
4:10pm, 6 Jun 2013
106 posts
Moleshome
The 610 uses the footpod for cadence and can also be set to provide pace data instead of using the GPS - supposedly it's more accurate/consistent than GPS.

Cadence doesn't get imported by Fetch - at least, it doesn't show up on any of my runs.

In terms of accessories:

Ditch the Garmin heart strap, keep the sensor and buy the Polar softstrap, it's far better at maintaining a good heart rate connection.

Unless you don't mind having a humongous ANT stick buy the Suunto one. I do a fair bit of traveling and the Suunto one is about 1/10th the size of the Garmin one and I can leave it permanently attached to my laptop.
Jun 2013
4:46pm, 6 Jun 2013
440 posts
Fitz
Cadence isn't uploaded?!? What is that Lord Fetch doing sitting around all day, tsk.

Agree on the Garmin HRM strap Moleshome; I ditched mine because it chafed, the Polar one is much more comfy. Don't miond the Garmin ANT stick as I only ever use it on my home PC.
Jun 2013
5:05pm, 6 Jun 2013
107 posts
Moleshome
I grabbed the footpod calibrator from Fellrnr's website too.

fellrnr.com
Jun 2013
5:15pm, 6 Jun 2013
108 posts
Moleshome
And this stuff is far better than spit or water for getting a good contact.

amazon.co.uk

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Fitz
Inspired by the recent Fetch articles on form and long-run pace, I'm thinking about adding a cadenc...