Cadence Sensor - Garmin Vivoactive - Spin Bikes

2 watchers
Feb 2017
11:23am, 10 Feb 2017
1,454 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Yesterday, jumped on the spin bike and chose the indoor bike programme. It asked me to connect a cadence sensor to track speed/distance.

Does anyone know if/where I can buy a cadence sensor for use on spin bikes (ie, something that I won't have to mess about with the bike to use)?
Feb 2017
11:27am, 10 Feb 2017
17,732 posts
  •  
Meglet
Garmin do wireless sensors that you can connect to your shoe for cadence, or hub of a wheel for speed-the two are independent and can be bought separately or together. I don't have a Vivoactive but you should be able to check compatibility.

There is also Wahoo, which uses bluetooth as well as ANT so can connect to a smartphone app, but I'm sure sure it's compatible with a garmin base unit
Feb 2017
1:26pm, 10 Feb 2017
1,455 posts
  •  
RunningRonnie
Will cadence on its own give me any meaningful data (speed or distance)? The spin bikes don't have spokes/wheels, so not an option for that one.
Feb 2017
1:31pm, 10 Feb 2017
17,734 posts
  •  
Meglet
No it won't give you speed or distance, just cadence.

If you were on a bike on a turbo trainer, for example, you could use both sensors.
Feb 2017
1:31pm, 10 Feb 2017
3,860 posts
  •  
Kieren
"wahoo rpm" is probably the cheapest you can get and works with both bluetooth and ant+. It will fit in your sock or you can attach to shoe / crank.

Cadence is useful information. In my opinion you don't need speed / distance just cadence and effort. A watt bike is a luxury item that will show you power / effort but saving that, rating your effort out of 10 is probably they way to go with 7 or 8 being your fuctional threshold pace (a hard effort you could sustain for 45 minutes for a novice, perhaps 60 for a more seasoned person)
Feb 2017
1:34pm, 10 Feb 2017
3,861 posts
  •  
Kieren
For what it's worth, with a smart phone, headphones and internet the following are good spin sessions:

1. GCN
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUdAMlZtaV12MsVWyWTPoFi4w2Tw8emwy

2. Sufferfest
thesufferfest.com

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunningRonnie
Yesterday, jumped on the spin bike and chose the indoor bike programme. It asked me to connect a cad...