C Block - there's no place like it.

1 lurker | 97 watchers
Sep 2020
7:27am, 11 Sep 2020
1,897 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
Ah, the specification argument (not in your specification, so we are gonna charge you); as opposed to, this was unforeseeable, let's work on a solution.
Sep 2020
7:45am, 11 Sep 2020
122,514 posts
  •  
GregP
Back in the day I built a career on doing that. Badger the client to sign off the spec, then bill them T&M for any changes. It’s how the industry worked in the 80s and 90s.
Sep 2020
11:21am, 11 Sep 2020
2,208 posts
  •  
IanS
Some are still working like that Greg
Sep 2020
11:30am, 11 Sep 2020
12,592 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Yes. My worst was in the early days of being acquired where the acquiring company kindly put an additional section to the tool for us to use for our bespoke bit.

All the data kept dropping when we went back into resuming working on projects and we were told “saving wasn’t in scope”. The fact that every other bit of the existing tool saved data was irrelevant. It was our fault for not putting it in the spec
um
Sep 2020
4:53pm, 11 Sep 2020
3,270 posts
  •  
um
I had a few interesting cases a few years back. Supposedly 'modern, cloud, agile development for global operations'. During the analysis/spec phase, I asked our 'world leading consultants' (starts with De- and ends in -loittes) how much we needed to specify, eg
- enter address (assuming WW would be std and default already developed)
- payment by credit/debit card ... did I really need to specify thsi field by field, or wasn't there already a std 'best in class' tool for this

- stunner found during testing ... some countries use an apostrophe in their names and addresses (especially the Irish). I hadn't specifically specified that was needed.
Sep 2020
5:05pm, 11 Sep 2020
12,598 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Dilbert nails it again on agile... dilbert.com
Sep 2020
12:05pm, 14 Sep 2020
772 posts
  •  
Reinhold Messner
Thank you, please see further questions below in red.

I’m awaiting clarity on changes to the change process itself, but I envisage another meeting required to discuss these. But in the meantime, please can you provide a response?
Sep 2020
9:22am, 18 Sep 2020
1,903 posts
  •  
Oscar the Grouch
The finance system is scheduled to be upgraded from e5.4 to e5.6 next week on Thursday 24th and Friday 25th September.

Upgrade
The upgrade has changed the colour scheme and the font. Apart from a few additional shortcuts around the system the day to day use is the same.

---

Videos
A series of videos are being created to work as training materials for the new version of e5.6 using Microsoft Streams. Click the link below and if you have any requests for specific training please email xxx.
Sep 2020
10:21am, 18 Sep 2020
20,750 posts
  •  
Dvorak
:-o Coveted job: creating the video training materials for that.
Sep 2020
11:05am, 22 Sep 2020
122,726 posts
  •  
GregP
Item 6

Deployment considerations:

Identifying and Quantifying the Use Case target audiences for targeted communications as well as training considerations

(Table will be made visible using Screenshare)

14.50 – 15.10

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Amplify your influence, further inspire your team, enhance your leadership skills and develop a competitive edge for your organisation.

The session will support you in considering the organisational culture you are creating. We will consider how you can ensure people are collaborating and innovating effectively and you will gain an understanding of how to motivate and engage teams after/during a period of such huge uncertainty.

You will be given assessment tools to use following the session that will allow you to critique your approach and gain feedback from your teams to ensure the approach you are taking is motivating and challenging whilst supportive.

Find out more and book your place here