Buying new running shoes

2 watchers
Jul 2021
7:27pm, 15 Jul 2021
1,171 posts
  •  
Muttley
New running shop opened up in town and I needed new shoes. I asked if I could run up and down outside on the pavement to get the feel of them, but the bloke in the shop said absolutely not because he won't be able to sell the ones that I try out but don't buy.

A shop I used to buy from years ago had no problem, in fact they encouraged us to do a short jog on the pavement.

I can see the objection if the pavement is wet with rain, or dirty, or there's dog shit everywhere. But none of that applied.

Can't sell shoes if someone has tried them out for 30 seconds outside ... really? Am I being unreasonable in thinking this is BS?

I did come away with a pair of shoes, but I basically bought them blind. Hopefully they'll be right for me.
Jul 2021
11:27am, 16 Jul 2021
4,208 posts
  •  
Kieren
I can see a case for both. I shop I used to use had a little painted track but it was often too busy. They later added a running a machine which is not quite the same but good enough to tell for slip, etc.

Maybe that might be something they could think about adding if they can make the space?
Jul 2021
11:35am, 16 Jul 2021
6,764 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I tend to go up to the London Marathon Store every few years and have a go on all the techy stuff. In between, I will get shoes online once I have a preference.

My wife went to a running shop in Beckenham. The guy (very knowledgeable) checked her gait and soles just by looking and told her to run up and down the road outside. As it happens, she got an ideal pair of shoes. Not sure if the shop is still there.
Jul 2021
1:21pm, 16 Jul 2021
1,173 posts
  •  
Muttley
The shop is tiny, no room for a treadie unfortunately.

With local running and bike shops I'm a big believer in use it or lose it. I'm happy to pay the extra to tap into the sales assistant's knowledge and try out the kit. But if you can't jog just a few yards outside to get the feel of a pair of shoes, what's the point of the shop? Might as well go online.

(As it happens, I took my new shoes for a 5 mile trot this morning and they seem fine.)
Jul 2021
3:56pm, 16 Jul 2021
32,070 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
The shop we go to encourage running up and down outside prior to purchase, even though they have a treadmill.
Jul 2021
9:22pm, 16 Jul 2021
21,209 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
The shop I go to test on a treadmill in the shop first and then let us onto the path outside to run.
Jul 2021
9:30pm, 16 Jul 2021
6,906 posts
  •  
Dooogs
I'm all in favour of buying from a Real Shop but if they won't let you try them out, you may as well buy them online - the whole point of a RS is getting to test them out.

I've zero sympathy with them on "no room for a treadie" - if you're setting up a running shop, you're not happy with customers trying the shoes outside and you've no room for a treadie, you've picked the wrong premises for a new running shop business.

(Different problem here - Huddersfield's sole running shop (U&R) shut down just before the pandemic and there's not a RS for 20 miles from here. Nearest is Oldham, which is a shopping trip to be avoided for all sorts of existential reasons).
Sep 2021
10:21am, 22 Sep 2021
First-time poster!!
  •  
DanWood
[Removed by moderator]
Sep 2021
12:19pm, 22 Sep 2021
1,228 posts
  •  
Muttley
Do they review the best flavours of spam as well?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Muttley
New running shop opened up in town and I needed new shoes. I asked if I could run up and down outsid...