Buying a secondhand diesel vehicle

2 watchers
Nov 2018
8:45pm, 30 Nov 2018
3,649 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I want to buy a small secondhand motorhome but they are nearly all diesel. Should I buy one?
Nov 2018
10:07pm, 30 Nov 2018
426 posts
  •  
oi you
If it's a motorhome you're after then I don't think you'll much choice. Certainly in the 3.5tonne coachbuilt range I don't recall ever having seen a petrol engine. You might find a few more in the panel van conversion models. VW campervans and similar I'd guess will offer a bit more choice if you can find them.
i've heard talk of some of the base vehicle manufacturers deveoping alternative fuel version - hydrogen (I think) fuel cells was one I'd heard of.
Nov 2018
10:37pm, 30 Nov 2018
2,784 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I've seen a few advertised that have had LPG conversions done.

I've no idea how reliable/economical/safe/available/etc LPG is though so don't take that as an endorsement, but might be worth checking out though..............
Dec 2018
1:53pm, 1 Dec 2018
28 posts
  •  
MovingAlong
I converted my old vw camper to lpg - ran without issue for 4 years (and eventually died because of something unrelated).

Easily got the money back on the conversion with the better mileage on lpg. Been a few years now but have noticed the 2 local garages to me that used to do lpg have stopped selling it - not sure if that’s just local though?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Cyclops
I want to buy a small secondhand motorhome but they are nearly all diesel. Should I buy one?