Bupa Great Birmingham run 2014

3 watchers
SPR
Oct 2014
4:44pm, 19 Oct 2014
19,663 posts
  •  
SPR
Had fun supporting at my usual locations again this year.

I did see a guy who literally (and I mean literally) couldn't stand, let alone walk, being helped to the finish by two people to the finish. Don't know what people think here, but I thought it was irresponsible. The guy couldn't control his legs, and looked like he needed immediate medical assistance.
Oct 2014
5:12pm, 19 Oct 2014
14 posts
  •  
Amfyvilla
I also saw a woman who was being supported by 2 other runners to the finish who could put one foot in front of the other, but clearly couldn't stand unaided. However - she was smiling so I guess she was happy that her friends were helping her.
Another young girl stop and rested on her knees at the entrance to the tunnel at 5 Ways. I asked if she was OK & offered some words of encouragement - 'its not too far now - just try to walk gently, you'll get there'! As she stood and staggered off, all over the road, I must admit that I thought I'd probabaly said the wrong thing - I think I would have been better trying to find her some help!I hope she was Ok!
SPR
Oct 2014
5:25pm, 19 Oct 2014
19,665 posts
  •  
SPR
Yeah, it's a fine line. And I suppose you could have a leg injury where you need help but apart from the injury, you're physically fine. I was 600m from the finish in my last location, and felt there were some runners that needed a little encouragement to keep going to end.There were walkers that I encouraged to run as they looked like they could give more. Whereas, some I just encouraged as I felt telling to run wouldn't help.

In the case of this guy I didn't say cheer as I felt he should be stopping, someone even tried to get them to stop but the helpers said they were fine. This guy didn't really seem aware of his surroundings, he was trying to move his legs, but they were like jelly.
Oct 2014
6:16pm, 19 Oct 2014
219 posts
  •  
mrsdistraction
I spotted one Fetchie and hollered encouragement just before mile 6. Half wished I'd been doing it myself but for me it would have been too soon after Cardiff. Maybe next year. A big well done to everyone!
Oct 2014
10:56pm, 19 Oct 2014
3,245 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Wow - that was a lot more undulating than I was expecting - and I do a lot of hill work living in North Yorkshire! Saw Marigold's interview on Channel 5 when I got home - leased to see I wasn't the only one who found the uphills hard going! Not too far off my PB so all things considered I'm pretty happy with 1:32:47 and second FV45. That uphill bit from 10.5 miles is an absolute killer on tired legs.
Oct 2014
10:56pm, 19 Oct 2014
3,246 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
I'm pleased I didnt have to run another 10miles after getting home!
Oct 2014
9:48am, 20 Oct 2014
52 posts
  •  
geologyrocks38
Those hills were a killer! Loved the race though, it had a brilliant atmosphere. I basically powered myself to the finish by doing high 5s to take my mind off the pain :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GeologyRocks
Hello Fetchies! I've just entered for the Great Birmingham half on 19 October (can combine with a v...